The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:24:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hours of fun

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hours of fun  (Read 201 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:05:07 pm »

"The Game of Thrones of classical music."

That's OK by me...

;D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/42mS033z3rtMr8SKdYnrfq1/put-down-everything-and-immerse-yourself

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest822
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:17:24 pm »

I tend to agree with the late and much missed André Previn who said that, "There are moments of shattering genius in Wagner but you have to wait so long between one and the next". I know this just re-packages what Rossini is alleged to have said: "Wagner has lovely moments but awful quarters of an hour". I have a chum who thinks that "there's a lot of good music buried in operas". It's certainly true of Wagner's music dramas and if ever there was a case for just listening to the highlights, Wagner makes it in spades.

I know. I'm a heretic who deserves a fate involving a large pile of fire-wood, a can of petrol and a box of Swan Vestas...

:-[ 
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 07:00:21 am »

I know. I'm a heretic who deserves a fate involving a large pile of fire-wood, a can of petrol and a box of Swan Vestas...

Just mind you don't burst your fillet, lol...

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7182.msg36516.html#msg36516

:D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:52 am »

Just mind you don't burst your fillet, lol...

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,7182.msg36516.html#msg36516

:D

;D Still, that might be preferable to Mr Creosote who was persuaded, against his better judgement, to eat one last "wafer-thin mint"...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: