The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:48:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Simpson Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simpson Symphonies  (Read 661 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:32:22 pm »

Great to have Andrew Davis' no 5...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-Simpson-London-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B08VMJDXX3/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Lyrita&qid=1612985352&s=music&sr=1-2

And good that the Lyrita well is still trickling: I was getting worried...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 02:05:50 pm »

Ah,yes! I spotted this the other day,at a rival forum. No,not that one! (That lot,listening to Robert Simpson?! :o ;D) Not my favourite composer;but unlike some (opinion's being pretty divided) I do think his symphonies are interesting and,even when you're not sure you really like them;an interesting puzzle (to crack?)! Following along these lines,some of Malcolm Arnold's recordings of him,conducting his symphonies,would be nice,too. I like his earlier (not on cd) recording of No 4 and No 6. And how about his ultra-slow performance of No 7 (it's a record breaker! :o)?!! :o ;D Is it worth a commercial release,though?! Oh,and could we have Holst's The Perfect Fool,please.......with lot's of nice booklet notes?!! :)  A cd of that one is way overdue (imho,as they say!).

And back to Robert Simpson,please!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 05:46:27 am »

And back to Robert Simpson,please!! ;D

This release was made possible by a grant from the Robert Simpson Society on occasion of the 2021 centenary. Robert Simpson wrote his Fifth Symphony in 1972 in response to a commission by the London Symphony Orchestra. The first performance of the symphony took place on 3 May 1973 at the Royal Festival Hall, under the direction of Andrew Davis. Simpsons Sixth Symphony, of 1977, was commissioned by the London Philharmonic Orchestra with funds provided by the Arts Council, it received its premiere performance on 8 April 1980 at the Royal Festival Hall with The London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Sir Charles Groves.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest145
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 12:55:19 pm »

Fear not! I have live Simpson and Arnold symphonies in the pipeline, for the archive.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 02:31:09 pm »

Fear not! I have live Simpson and Arnold symphonies in the pipeline, for the archive.

Wow! Thanks, Maris...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 02:42:53 pm »

Oh indeed, yes please.

(It just so happens that I adored Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe.)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 11:24:33 am »

Me, too!
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 11:47:49 am »

Me, too!

See, I knew you were a right-thinking person!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 01:08:30 pm »

A review on Musicweb!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Mar/Simpson-sys56-SRCD389.htm
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 01:56:55 pm »

Thank you, cilgwyn, for alerting me to that review. I thought David McDade put his points across cogently and was persuasive. I have the Hyperion disc to which he refers of Tod Handley conducing Symphonies numbers 3 and 5

but I have to admit not being familiar with Symphony no 6. I realise, too, that I only know a couple of Simpson's (is it 15?) String Quartets. Aristotle's famous line, "The more you know, the more you realise you don't know" is constantly being reinforced in my mind by this forum, at least as it relates to music!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:59:18 am »

With this welcome new issue from Lyrita, the copies of these broadcast performances which were in the archive have been removed.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 07:31:16 am »

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Apr/Simpson-sys56-SRCD389.htm

:)
Report Spam   Logged

cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2021, 10:43:13 pm »

An interesting review! I must admit I haven't bought this cd. I have all the Hyperion cds of his symphonies,though! I wrote to him once. I received a very nice letter from his wife in response. Unfortunately,unbeknown to me,at the time,he'd had had a debilitating stroke!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Apr/Simpson-sys56-SRCD389-RHa.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: