The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:17:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Henry Robert Gadsby (1842-1907)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry Robert Gadsby (1842-1907)  (Read 318 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2021, 02:23:40 pm »

I have amended and expanded the Wikipedia entry for Gadsby with further information on his life, published works and extant autograph scores (together with a contemporary portrait) derived from research into journal reviews and library catalogues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Gadsby

:)

It is nice to belong to a forum which possibly values such efforts...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:40:28 pm »

Thank you, John, and thank you also for bringing new life to this near-starved forum!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 05:45:12 pm »

Thank you, John, and thank you also for bringing new life to this near-starved forum!

You are most welcome! Let's get's going... please post on whatever interests you musical or otherwise. We've been stagnant (mea culpa) for far too long. Opinions on news items, funny thoughts, musical thoughts, the price of eggs, who cares? Just post and either get a response or not...

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:55:14 am »

Further research has revealed an operetta (Christine, 1862), several anthems, another cantata (The Golden Legend, 1869, only the overture performed) and the sale price for the collection of manuscripts purchased by the British Library from Bonhams in 2004. I have added this information to the Wikipedia article...

Report Spam   Logged

guest145
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:57:52 pm »

The name seemed vaguely familiar, though I've never heard any of his music that I'm aware of. I see there's nothing on YT.

Then I read the Wikipedia entry and realized I'd seen his name in a hymnal. As a church organist I often explore different hymnals and I saw he authored a couple of hymn tunes -- neither of them ones I'd played but somehow his name must have stuck in my memory.

Am I correct in assuming nothing of his (or at least nothing substantial) is available on LP or CD?

Thank you for stimulating this discussion!

Maris
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 01:04:11 am »

Hi Maris,

no, nothing by Gadsby has been ever recorded or broadcast except for possibly one or two of the anthems or hymn tunes (I will endeavour to find out).

Another possible reason that his name seems vaguely familiar to you - http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1708.0.html...

;)
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 01:57:57 pm »

I have finally completed the composition dates on Wikipedia for all of Gadsby's major works, together with virtually all first performance details, by trawling through The Musical Times 1862-1907 but there are still gaps. It truly is a window onto a world long lost to us, a world of phenomenal industry and performance. Here goes with the Musical Monthly Record, lol...

;) ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: