The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:45:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

William Wallace (1860-1940)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William Wallace (1860-1940)  (Read 464 times)
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2021, 09:23:14 am »

I have the disc with the symphonic poems, but I remember finding them rather thematically unmemorable. But this fine recommendation makes me feel like giving them another try. I might well like them better second time around - that often happens.
Yes, they are well worth a second visit, and do also try the second Hyperion disc with the Creation Symphony! If you'll pardon the pun, I think that where Wallace really scores most is in his deft and often brilliant orchestration, especially Villon.

In William Wallace AD 1305-1905 he cunningly weaves in fragments of the tune (immortalised by the words of Robert Burns) Scots! wha hae wi' Wallace bled. Alexander Mackenzie used the same tune more literally in his attractive Scottish Rhapsody No.2, Burns, Op.24 (1880)...

:)

As did Bruch in the finale of his Scottish Fantasy (although with the chorus and verse reversed, as it were), and Berlioz in his Rob Roy Overture.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: