The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:33:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Is it April 1st?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it April 1st?  (Read 265 times)
Clambert
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »

Seriously? Sea Pictures/Songs of Travel on...TROMBONE???

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.579080

Thought I'd heard everything, but clearly not... 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:05:25 pm »

Hilarious! What a worthwhile recording project...

"Trombone Travels continues its journey, exploring English song at the start of the 20th century and the great song cycles of Sir Edward Elgar, Ralph Vaughan Williams and Sir Charles Villiers Stanford. The trombone’s propensity to mimic vocal techniques – for example, vibrato, portamento, and microtonal inflections – combined with its ability to sustain and manipulate its sound orally, allows a vast spectrum of colours to be achieved. Tone can be adjusted further by inserting a mute into the instrument, giving rise to a whole host of colours not available to the singer."

I can think of quite a few singers into whom I would have no hesitation in inserting a mute...

;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:00:40 pm »

I can think of quite a few singers into whom I would have no hesitation in inserting a mute...

;D
I can think of quite a few singers into whom I would have no hesitation in inserting a TROMBONE. But that's just me...

Seriously, though, I suppose one must have some sympathy for trombonists whose solo repertoire is on the thin side, to put it mildly. But rather than these songs, I should have thought they might try some transcriptions of the solo horn repertoire, for example
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:26:20 pm »

;D The only dilemma! Which end to place,said instrument?!! ;D :o
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »

;D The only dilemma! Which end to place,said instrument?!! ;D :o

That's the joy of living in a democracy. You get to choose!
 ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 01:10:20 am »

I can think of quite a few singers into whom I would have no hesitation in inserting a TROMBONE. But that's just me...

;D
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:18:16 am »

;D

;D
That's hysterical. Where on earth did you find it? Canterbury tales, maybe?

I'm not sure if her hands are raised in prayer or if she's shielding herself against some sort of gastric Scirocco. It reminds me of dear old Major Blookdnok's digestive travails!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 05:29:33 pm »

That is funny! ;D Thank for that,Albion! :) I always remember reading The Canterbury Tales,when I was a youngster. The Miller's Tale! Full of stuff about people farting! I was used to old books being a bit poe-faced,back then (Oops! That's quite funny,in the circumstances! ;D) The Golden Ass by Apuleius,was another one (even older!!!) My sister passed it on to me,because she didn't like it!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: