The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:13:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Turkmen Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turkmen Music  (Read 241 times)
guest264
« on: November 08, 2020, 03:57:21 pm »

I rather like the String Quartet that I discovered by Nury Halmammedov. It was written in 1976. I think I can hear a DSCH motif in the first movement, I wonder if it
was written in memory of Shostakovich who died that year? There is a lovely theme in the final movement.

Robert
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:02:58 pm »

Robert,

many thanks for your upload indeed! I was not aware of that LP so far.

A few more details: your observation is completely right, the DSCH motif appears in the first movement indeed. Comparing the work to the two other (larger-scale) pieces by Halmamedov I know (namely his "Turkmenistan" symphonic pictures and his Symphony in E Minor, both from the 1960s), the piece certainly demonstrates an evolution in style. The earlier pieces are large colourful orchestral canvases with a strong national flavour, obviously supposed to be pictures of his native land, very enjoyable in fact.

The musical language of this string quartet is less (directly) national, more restrained and certainly shows Shostakovich's influence. I thought of Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 when listening to the beginning, and this is most certainly not mere coincidence: I read that the quartet also has the title "To the Memory of the Women and Children who were tortured in fascist Dungeons", while Shostakovich's quartet is of course decicated "to the victims of fascism and the war". So there seems to be a direct influence. Whether it was also written in memory of Shostakovich himself is an open question, though I think your hypothesis makes quite sense.

By the way, reading the English wikipedia article on Halmamedov, I see that he was born in 1938 rather than 1940 (commonly used so far) indeed, thanks for this (implicit) information. In today's Turkmenistan (where they now use a Latin alphabet) he is written Nury Halmämmedow.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: