The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:45:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alexander Mosolov: Symphony No. 5 & Harp Concerto

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexander Mosolov: Symphony No. 5 & Harp Concerto  (Read 1667 times)
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2020, 06:53:39 pm »

Yes, I was also very surprised to come across this new CD, there had not been any real signs of a Mosolov revival before. As for the number of the E Major symphony, the liner notes of the Northern Flowers disc do not provide any details on this question and I currently believe the symphony just has no number. There is a catalogue in the German wikipedia on Mosolov's symphonies which I compiled years ago from all information I could gather, but it's far from certain that all details are correct since information is so sparse. Until now, I would not even have dared to bet that these scores actually exist. In any case, the symphonies listed are as follows:

• Symphony Op. 20 (1927/28, lost)
  • Antireligious Symphony (1931)
  • Symphony in E Major (1944)
  • Symphony No. 2 in C Major (1946)
  • Symphony No. 3 in B flat Major "Song Symphony" (1949/50)
  • Symphony in C Major (1959/60)
  • Symphony No. 4 in A Minor (1959/60)
  • Symphony No. 5 in E Minor (1965)
  • Symphony No. 6 (until 1973, unfinished)

So the E Major symphony could be No. 1, but that's not quite clear. There might also be some possibility that the C Major and the A Minor symphonies (No. 4) could coindice, but who knows for sure...

Anyway, the composers you suggest would certainly be fine choices! I know that there have been plans to do a Peiko cycle on Toccata Classics, but it's a matter of finances and things seem rather difficult alas.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: