The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:46:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vladigerov Piano Concertos 1-5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vladigerov Piano Concertos 1-5  (Read 1102 times)
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2020, 06:11:20 pm »

Presto Classical has announced that the Capriccio label will be releasing on 4th September a 3CD set of all five of Vladigerov's Piano Concertos, with various pianists, conducted by Vladigerov's son Alexander.   The recordings were apparently made in the 1970s, but a chance to hear all five of them has to be good news.
Some time ago, Toccata Classics announced the PCs as being 'in the pipeline', but that announcement has disappeared, so I guess that this Capriccio issue is the best we are likely to get for the foreseeable future . . .
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:29 pm »

I heard about this new release a while ago, and I think I read that the recordings which are ready for release should be the old Balkanton recordings from the 1970s (or so). If this is true then these are fine news, since these are performances of a high standard (in case of the Fifth Concerto, the pianist should be the composer himself) and probably much more than just a substitute for a newer recording.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 08:30:51 pm »

It sounds as though you are right about the recording provenance - the pianists are the composer, Teodor Moussev, Ivan Drenikov and Krassimir Gatov, and the orchestra is the Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra.
I am encouraged by your comments about the recording standards, particularly as there are unlikely to be new versions any time soon.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:18:40 am »

The blurb on Prestoclassical says that these discs will be part of an 18 disc Complete Vladigerov Edition, so maybe they will continue to tap into these 1970s Bulgarian radio recordings.
There is more detail now on the chandos site about the piano concerto recordings:

https://www.chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/C80060.pdf
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 07:54:34 am »

In fact, there was a huge Balkanton Vladigerov edition on LP, and my guess is that these are the recordings Capriccio is about to bring out on CD. This is actually quite a surprise, but a very pleasant one, since Vladigerov is of course a very fine composer and there is a lot of very interesting stuff to be discovered.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:29:38 am »

Concertos 1 - 4 were recorded between 1972  and 1978. Nr.5 in 1964 and the booklet says it's a mono recording with Pancho himself as the soloist.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 03:59:52 pm »

Presto Classical has announced that the Capriccio label will be releasing on 4th September a 3CD set of all five of Vladigerov's Piano Concertos, with various pianists, conducted by Vladigerov's son Alexander.   The recordings were apparently made in the 1970s, but a chance to hear all five of them has to be good news.
Some time ago, Toccata Classics announced the PCs as being 'in the pipeline', but that announcement has disappeared, so I guess that this Capriccio issue is the best we are likely to get for the foreseeable future . . .
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
guest377
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 06:33:52 pm »

In fact, there was a huge Balkanton Vladigerov edition on LP, and my guess is that these are the recordings Capriccio is about to bring out on CD. This is actually quite a surprise, but a very pleasant one, since Vladigerov is of course a very fine composer and there is a lot of very interesting stuff to be discovered.

Yes  I was able to acquire that box set...  the booklet is wonderful.   All the orchestral compositions are in the box set.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 07:24:48 am »

More to come soon from Capriccio - next will be the Symphonies and some orchestral pieces, from the same original source by the looks of things:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/pancho-vladigerov-orchesterwerke-vol-1/hnum/10317232
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: