The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:59:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Abu Bakr Khairat anything?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abu Bakr Khairat anything?  (Read 581 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:49:05 pm »

Recordings or Broadcast?
 :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sicmu
Level 2

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:24:32 pm »

There are better symphonies around there :

http://soundcloud.com/mohamedfathi/abu-bakr-khairat-symphony-no-1
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »

I have his Symphony No. 3 and can upload it soon. However, I am afraid this is nothing special indeed, basically sounds like Beethoven.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »

I have his Symphony No. 3 and can upload it soon. However, I am afraid this is nothing special indeed, basically sounds like Beethoven.

However i would be grateful.
Best
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:30:28 pm »

Hmm...interesting! When researching Yusef Greiss I heard about this composer. Does his music sound like just a cheap copy of Beethoven, or does it just have Beethovenian characteristics? His Wikipedia article states, "His compositions are written in a romantic idiom, combining Egyptian traditional elements with Western music". If this statement that he wrote in a romantic idiom is true, I wouldn't really call Beethoven a "romantic" composer (more late-classical/early romantic). But who knows, we might have an Egyptian Beethoven here ;)! Anyway, thanks for offering to upload the Symphony no. 3, Holger. BTW, his dates are 1910-1963.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:00:02 am »

It's online now, so you can judge for yourselves. For me, this music is not too romantic, and the Egyptian folk idiom is not that present either - I am not sure whether anybody listening to the first bars would get the idea this is an Egyptian piece of music from the second half of the 1950s at all! It overall remains an oddity in my eyes.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:44:59 am »

Wow-that's strange :o! I guess I'll have to listen to it myself...
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

It's online now, so you can judge for yourselves. For me, this music is not too romantic, and the Egyptian folk idiom is not that present either - I am not sure whether anybody listening to the first bars would get the idea this is an Egyptian piece of music from the second half of the 1950s at all! It overall remains an oddity in my eyes.

Dear Holger thanks!
Really was he Egyptian or German? IMHO it sounds more sturm und drang than Sphinx and Pyramids.However an amusing listening.
 ;)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 03:10:05 pm »

Here there is a cd with piano music however he resembles Schumann :
http://www.amirafouad.com/biography
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:39:45 am »

Hi, I will upload Suite folclorica en do mayor Op.24 soon. But sound quality is not very fine, I'm afraid. :-[
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 12:58:56 pm »

A few days after having uploaded the Third Symphony, I found a copy of Abu-Bakr Khairat's Symphony No. 2 for sale. It was cheap (just €4), so I decided to give it a try. I have now digitalized and uploaded it. I think I prefer it to No. 3, since even if it's very conservative as well, Khairat is more interested in incorporating folk music here, which gives it a special note that goes beyond the Sturm und Drang plus Beethoven allusions. I also included a scan of the liner notes, which give some information about the composer's intentions.

Thanks also for the Suite. It was composed in 1958, since both LPs provide some information about the composer, ending with the sentence "His latest work (December, 1958) is his "Suite Folklorique pour Orchestre"." As this is his Opus 24 and the Third Symphony, his Opus 23, is from 1957/58, this perfectly makes sense. Also, Gika Zdravkovitch is the same person as Živojin Zdravković (for some reason, two versions of his first name are used), so all three recordings of orchestral works by Abu-Bakr Khairat we now have are played by the same performers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: