The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:13:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Cipriani Potter (1792-1871)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cipriani Potter (1792-1871)  (Read 1402 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:21:43 pm »

In view of the perplexing numbering of Potter's symphonies I have added the following note (in bold below) to my listing on Wikipedia. Please could members judge if it makes sense?!?

Potter seems to have adopted two separate and contradictory systems for the numbering of his symphonies, of which nine are extant: one based on the order of composition (hence those styled 1, 6, 7, 8 and 10) and another based on key (hence the G minor symphony of 1832 is also styled number 2, i.e. the second G minor symphony whilst the two D major symphonies are styled numbers 2 and 4, i.e. the second and fourth D major symphonies). Thus it is possible to surmise that several works, including both a first and a third D major symphony, were lost or destroyed. This has led to considerable confusion which the following list seeks to clarify by adopting a simple chronology.

Symphony [No. 1] in G minor (1819, revised 1824–26) [styled No. 1 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 2] in B♭ major (1821, revised 1839) [unnumbered by the composer]
Symphony [No. 3] in C minor (1826) [styled No. 6 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 4] in F major (1826) [styled No. 7 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 5] in E♭ major (1828, revised with replacement slow movement 1846) [styled No. 8 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 6] in G minor (1832) [styled both No. 10 and No. 2 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 7] in D major (1833) [styled No. 2 by the composer]
Symphony [No. 8] in C minor (1834) [unnumbered by the composer]
Symphony [No. 9] in D major (1834) [styled No. 4 by the composer]

???
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Beorn
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:38:56 am »

Well, your explanation seems (reasonably) clear to me.
Regards!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:11:41 am »

Thanks, Beorn!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 01:28:27 pm »

Very helpful indeed. Many thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 09:32:15 am »

On the assumption that the new CPO recording of Potter's Symphony No.1 is the same performance as that in the BBC broadcast I have "suspended" the off-air recording from the archive. If any member can let me know if they aren't identical I will reverse this!

Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 01:19:13 pm »

Way-hey! Lovely new disc of scribbles by "Little Chip" just landed. Booklet-notes comprehensibly 'n all, penned by Sullivanite Meinhard Saremba and translated by J. Bradford Robinson, so no Reznicek therapy sessions required. I knew Howard Griffiths would eventually get round to this repertoire: first outings for the Cymbeline overture and the Introduzione e Rondo (alla militaire). Great stuff methinks!

;)

Buy! Buy! Buy! Oh, and then email CPO to ensure that this is just the beginning of their Potter traversal.

;D
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 02:24:11 pm »

Way-hey! Lovely new disc of scribbles by "Little Chip" just landed. Booklet-notes comprehensibly 'n all, penned by Sullivanite Meinhard Saremba and translated by J. Bradford Robinson, so no Reznicek therapy sessions required. I knew Howard Griffiths would eventually get round to this repertoire: first outings for the Cymbeline overture and the Introduzione e Rondo (alla militaire). Great stuff methinks!

;)

Buy! Buy! Buy! Oh, and then email CPO to ensure that this is just the beginning of their Potter traversal.

;D
Oh God. More expense... ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 02:28:02 pm »

and then email CPO to ensure that this is just the beginning of their Potter traversal.

This instruction is important. They DO listen to customer feedback. Please drop CPO a line - for attention of Herr Burkhard Schmilgun (he is the Artists & Repertoire Manager).
Report Spam   Logged
guest822
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 02:32:11 pm »

and then email CPO to ensure that this is just the beginning of their Potter traversal.

This instruction is important. They DO listen to customer feedback. Please drop CPO a line - for attention of Herr Burkhard Schmilgun (he is the Artists & Repertoire Manager).
Will do!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 03:55:01 pm »

Gareth, as ever you were just ahead of me! YES, send in your appreciative comments to Burkhard and get this bloody wonderful music recorded (whilst yer at it, put in a kindly word for Mackenzie 'n' Cowen)...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:57:15 am »

Gareth, as ever you were just ahead of me! YES, send in your appreciative comments to Burkhard and get this bloody wonderful music recorded (whilst yer at it, put in a kindly word for Mackenzie 'n' Cowen)...

:D

Yep, just popped another appreciative scribble off to both Burkhard 'n' Howard. Potter scores very highly in the British symphonic pioneering stakes: Samuel Wesley jolly fun, William Crotch hmmm, Bennett refined and tuneful, Macfarren worthy but dull, Sullivan excellent.

;)

On to Parry (2-5), Cowen (3-6), Stanford (5-6), German (2-"5") 'n' Cliffe (1-2)... Great stuff that should be in the concert repertoire. Sadly, it ain't, never has been and probably never will be.

???
Report Spam   Logged

Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 02:48:41 pm »

On the assumption that the new CPO recording of Potter's Symphony No.1 is the same performance as that in the BBC broadcast I have "suspended" the off-air recording from the archive. If any member can let me know if they aren't identical I will reverse this!

Having lent me old cloth-ears to said disc, I conclude that the performance is the same. Hence it is deleted from BIMA. C'mon email CPO to get this stuff recorded: mine, Lionel's 'n' Gareth's pesterings ain't enough!

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 04:16:25 pm »

Having lent me old cloth-ears to said disc, I conclude that the performance is the same. Hence it is deleted from BIMA. C'mon email CPO to get this stuff recorded: mine, Lionel's 'n' Gareth's pesterings ain't enough!

;)
I even managed to write mine in a sort of German, with the aid of a translation app! I expect it will cause a laugh at the other end, which might serve to get them on our side!  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 06:27:15 pm »

;)
I even managed to write mine in a sort of German, with the aid of a translation app! I expect it will cause a laugh at the other end, which might serve to get them on our side!  ;D

Bless you, Lionel! You are a true friend to music and I, for one, thank you wholeheartedly.

;)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 06:45:48 pm »

;)

Bless you, Lionel! You are a true friend to music and I, for one, thank you wholeheartedly.

;)

It's very kind of you say so. If a friend is there for you through difficult times, and comforts you unconditionally, I somehow think music has been a better friend to me than I have been to it! ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: