The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:03:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Lyudkevich Symphony No. 3 in A minor (1963)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lyudkevich Symphony No. 3 in A minor (1963)  (Read 759 times)
guest264
« on: April 05, 2020, 08:12:53 pm »

Stanislav Lyudekvich (1879-1979)

Symphony in A minor (1963)

Lviv Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra.
Conductor - Demian Pelechaty.
Recording 1968

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest224
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:39 pm »

Thank you for this, what a find!

How do you know it's No. 3?  The youtube page makes no mention of a number.

And intriguing to see the graphic saying "Historical Recordings Vol.1"...what other treasures are in store, have you heard?
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:59 pm »

The translation from Google says "For the first time, one of the three symphonies of the classic of Ukrainian music, Stanislav Ludkevich, is freely available.".
The date is 1963, so I take it to be the last symphony. Subcarpathian is 2nd and there is a Sinfonietta from 1943.

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:39:15 am »

Thank you very much for pointing out this recording indeed! My impression is that Lyudkevych's work list often causes confusion (at least when it comes to the lesser-known, not commercially recorded works). For instance, his F Sharp Minor Piano Concerto from 1957 is sometimes labeled No. 2, sometimes No. 3.

With respect to the symphonies, things are not clear either. If somebody counts three Lyudkevych symphonies then the first one could also be his "Caucasus" cantata, which is labeled Symphony-Cantata. The A Minor symphony you found seems to be listed nowhere else. One guess could be that it is the same work the Russian Wikipedia lists as "Suite in A Major" (the work does end in A Major) from 1962. Anyway we can only speculate...
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 11:41:01 am »

There is an interesting article about the composer here:

https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/stanislav-liudkevych/30394575.html

He also published a disc with three symphonies by Ludkevich - "Symphony", written in 1942, "Precarpathian Symphony (1951) and" Symphony in A Minor "(1963).
The three symphonies of the Ukrainian classic are unknown, and they are professionally made and written at a difficult time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:10:37 pm »

There is an interesting article about the composer here:

https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/stanislav-liudkevych/30394575.html

He also published a disc with three symphonies by Ludkevich - "Symphony", written in 1942, "Precarpathian Symphony (1951) and" Symphony in A Minor "(1963).
The three symphonies of the Ukrainian classic are unknown, and they are professionally made and written at a difficult time.

AMAZING to think that his widow Zenovia died just in 2016! Do you know anything more about this disc Robert?

The article mentions an Ivan Ostapovich who seems to be driving the programme to resurrect his music.  I think I have found him on linkedin and and written him a message, let's see if he replies...

It does increasingly seem that there is a wealth of hidden treasure in Ukrainian music.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 01:27:48 pm »

Couldn't track down any more info about the disk. Let's see what Collegium Musicum make available.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 06:01:51 pm »

Many thanks for this link, Robert! Very helpful indeed. So it seems that it's the sinfonietta indeed which is meant when talking about three symphonies. The CD in question can be found here:
https://www.discogs.com/de/Stanislav-Lyudkevych-Symphonic-Works/release/14661022
In addition, the Caucasus Symphony-Cantata has been released on a Melodiya LP as you probably know anyway.

What you say about Ukrainian music, Christopher, is true, though it applies to a large number of countries...
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:22:08 pm »

What you say about Ukrainian music, Christopher, is true, though it applies to a large number of countries...

I think it applies particularly to Ukraine and Belarus.  They sadly seem still to have a very Soviet attitude to material in their archives.  If you ask about recordings they have, they react suspiciously and demand to know "the formal reason" that you are asking.  I don't even know what that means.  Saying "because I would like to hear the music" does not seem to be good enough.  This is a shame.  I compare that with, for example, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania who have made huge steps to make their music freely available. I believe the countries of Central Europe have been similarly open.  (By contrast, I understand that getting archived music from the UK's BBC can be very painful...)

And Ukraine, with a population of approx 45 million, is likely to have a proportionally higher number of hidden treasures.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 09:08:20 pm »

I think it applies particularly to Ukraine and Belarus.  They sadly seem still to have a very Soviet attitude to material in their archives.  If you ask about recordings they have, they react suspiciously and demand to know "the formal reason" that you are asking.  I don't even know what that means.  Saying "because I would like to hear the music" does not seem to be good enough.  This is a shame.  I compare that with, for example, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania who have made huge steps to make their music freely available. I believe the countries of Central Europe have been similarly open.  (By contrast, I understand that getting archived music from the UK's BBC can be very painful...)

And Ukraine, with a population of approx 45 million, is likely to have a proportionally higher number of hidden treasures.

Sadly, however, you will encounter the same attitude in Germany. It is possible to get recordings from the radio archives of the former German Democratic Republic. However, a few years ago I also tried to get some recordings from other (Western German) radio stations, and the result was absolutely zero. I remember somebody phoned me to ask for which purpose I wanted the recordings, and when I replied that I wanted them just to listen to the music by myself the reply was that this was not possible.

Whether the relationship of hidden treasures to the size of the population is really that strong is something I am not too sure about. Each of the Baltic states is really small in terms of population, but what a wealth of great composers there is! Or take Slovenia with just 2 million inhabitants but numerous great composers.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: