The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:11:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps on Chandos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps on Chandos  (Read 670 times)
guest377
« on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:48 am »

I just got this CD in the mail from Import CDs... one of the few CD sellers still in business.... I have the feeling that with Ms Gibbs symphonies, I am listening to movie music or John Williams??    Just my thoughts.
Anyone want to take a gander??
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 02:16:16 am »

The 3rd and 5th symphonies are both in the British and Irish Music archive. The former is one of her strongest pieces IMHO with some fantastic orchestral scoring for tuned percussion. Explore!

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:17:55 am »

I find nothing of film music with Gipps, though a hint of her teacher Vaughan Williams. I think she is very underrated and have enjoyed everything I know of her music.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:43:57 pm »

The 4th Symphony was greatly admired by Arthur Bliss, no mean judge having previously been on the "reading panel" at the BBC. Certainly the splendid recent performance of the 3rd under Rumon Gamba (see the archive) leads me to hope that his close relationship with Chandos may bring about a commercial release for this extremely attractive score. Incidentally, it is easy to overlook the fact that her very fine Horn Concerto is available on an enterprising multi-composer Lyrita disc -

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2007/Nov07/British_Horn_concertos_srcd316.htm

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest377
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:17:08 am »

I am starting to love this new release on Chandos....  any thoughts on the Piano Concerto by Gipps??   its on SOMM  recordings   

Murray McLachlan on piano with the  Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VHY6HWD/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A9G4IDK5ZNW30&psc=1
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 11:38:41 am »

Ruth Gipps' piano concerto is a first rate piece. On my suggestion Angela Brownridge recorded it for Cameo Classics with the Malta Philharmonic under Michael Laus. It was coupled with the 1st piano concerto by Kenneth Leighton. That disk is now difficult to obtain, I believe.  But Nimbus took over the Cameo catalogue and may well reissue the recording. I hope so. The Somm disk, of course, has another and very welcome rarity - well, two in fact: the only extant piano concerto by Dora Bright and her Variations on an Original Theme for piano and orchestra. I can recommend both CDs.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: