The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:31:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Stanley Bate (1911-1959)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stanley Bate (1911-1959)  (Read 1736 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2020, 10:00:59 pm »

Having mentioned Bate in a Hyperion RPC thread, I would encourage members to explore this "lost" composer. There is a very good BBC documentary here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000dxyq

and several excellent recordings of major works on the Dutton Epoch label:

Sinfonietta No.1, Op.22 (1938) - CDLX 7282
Piano Concerto No.2, Op. 28 (1940) - CDLX 7282
Symphony No.3, Op.29 (1940) - CDLX 7239
Viola Concerto, Op.46 (1944-46) - CDLX 7216
Symphony No.4 (1954-55) - CDLX 7255

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 09:38:38 pm »

Interesting that he composed a viola concerto. His wife, Peggy Glanville-Hicks, did so as well.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 02:19:36 am »

Love Bate so much and I wish Dutton would take up where they left off with him.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:27:09 pm »

Piano Concerto No.3 (1951-52) is in the British and Irish Music archive, splendidly played by the composer under Guy Harrison - it is well worth a modern revival. I don't know of any off-air recordings of the violin concertos but I suspect that they would be equally rewarding.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 01:36:21 am »

Having mentioned Bate in a Hyperion RPC thread, I would encourage members to explore this "lost" composer. There is a very good BBC documentary here -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000dxyq

and several excellent recordings of major works on the Dutton Epoch label:

Sinfonietta No.1, Op.22 (1938) - CDLX 7282
Piano Concerto No.2, Op. 28 (1940) - CDLX 7282
Symphony No.3, Op.29 (1940) - CDLX 7239
Viola Concerto, Op.46 (1944-46) - CDLX 7216
Symphony No.4 (1954-55) - CDLX 7255

I enjoyed listening to this but was disappointed there was no way to know what some of the music was.  I especially liked the chamber music but don't have any information to track it down to hear the rest of it.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 10:24:09 am »

There are a few chamber works by Bate which have been recorded:

Flute Sonata, Op.11 (1937), in a mixed British programme - Willowhayne Records MPR101

Violin Sonata No.1, Op.47 (1946), on an otherwise all-Arnell disc - Toccata Classics TOCC0492

There is also the Cello Concerto (1953), coupled with the Bax Cello Concerto - Lyrita SRCD 351

Report Spam   Logged

relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 04:26:11 pm »

There are a few chamber works by Bate which have been recorded:

Flute Sonata, Op.11 (1937), in a mixed British programme - Willowhayne Records MPR101

Violin Sonata No.1, Op.47 (1946), on an otherwise all-Arnell disc - Toccata Classics TOCC0492

There is also the Cello Concerto (1953), coupled with the Bax Cello Concerto - Lyrita SRCD 351

Thank you kind sir.
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 07:34:50 am »

I love his music, especially symphonies 3,4 and the Viola and PC concerto No.2.
He definitely deserves the epithet of 'undeservedly neglected'. I consider his Third Symphony, in particular, to be a major contribution to 20th century symphonic music.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 12:47:54 pm »

I love his music, especially symphonies 3, 4 and the Viola and PC concerto No.2.
He definitely deserves the epithet of 'undeservedly neglected'. I consider his Third Symphony, in particular, to be a major contribution to 20th century symphonic music.

Agree with every word, here. Played both the Third Symphony and second piano concerto recently, and was stunned again. First class composer, should be far better known.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 12:43:38 pm »

I love his music, especially symphonies 3, 4 and the Viola and PC concerto No.2.

Agree with every word, here. Played both the Third Symphony and second piano concerto recently, and was stunned again. First class composer, should be far better known.
That Dutton CD featuring Bate's 3rd Symphony and Chisholm's extraordinary 'Pictures from Dante' is probably my all time favourite Dutton CD, along with the ones featuring Richard Arnell's 3rd Symphony and Maximilian Steinberg's Symphony No.4 'Turksib'.
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 01:33:06 pm »

That Dutton CD featuring Bate's 3rd Symphony and Chisholm's extraordinary 'Pictures from Dante' is probably my all time favourite Dutton CD, along with the ones featuring Richard Arnell's 3rd Symphony and Maximilian Steinberg's Symphony No.4 'Turksib'.

Absolutely, and quite a distinctive voice! So much for the dismissive term "Cheltenham Symphonies". Both of the recorded symphonies are splendid, as in the Piano Concerto. More, please...

:D
Report Spam   Logged

Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 03:32:09 pm »

Absolutely, and quite a distinctive voice! So much for the dismissive term "Cheltenham Symphonies". Both of the recorded symphonies are splendid, as in the Piano Concerto. More, please...

:D
Totally agree with your 'Cheltenham Symphonies' comment. Bate's 4th Symphony and the Viola Concerto are also marvellous works, as is the 2nd Piano Concerto. One of the only photos I know of Bate is of him standing, looking perhaps rather uncomfortable, alongside a rather pleased-with-himself looking seated Vaughan Williams and acolytes at Cheltenham, probably at the time of the performance of Bate's 3rd Symphony, which made such a strong impression. There's something about that photo which I don't like but, no doubt, it's my own projections!

PS I've just looked at the photo again (1955 Cheltenham Festival, first performance of Bate's 3rd Symphony) - it's just that nobody seems to be paying any attention to Bate who is, literally and metaphorically, an 'outsider'.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 10:23:27 pm »

I share people's enthusiasm for Bate.  The Dutton Bate and Bell Viola Concertos CD was marvellous.  A pity there is only Bell's South African Symphony on Marco Polo to go along with his Rosa Mystica Viola Concerto.

The Dutton Bate and Chisholm CD is even better in my opinion and the Fourth Symphony is equal to the Third, albeit less immediately appealing.  The 2nd and 3rd Piano Concertos are attractive, the Cello Concerto perhaps less so.

I would love to hear the Violin Concertos.  If I recall correctly the Third Concerto was composed for Yehudi Menuhin and Dutton were considering recording it several years ago.  There was a Dutch radio broadcast of the first or second Concerto in the 1950s I think.

The cellist who recorded the Cello Concerto used a Kickstarter appeal to raise the funds and himself prepared the score.  Perhaps this is what is needed to bring recordings of the Violin Concertos to pass.  I have read the scores do exist for them.

Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 12:52:42 am »

I like Stanley Bate's music,too! I remember the first mention I ever saw of the composer was in a British Music Society newsletter,back in the 1980's,where Rob Barnett named his Third Symphony as one of the pieces of music that were the most in need for a recording!
I like the Third and Fourth Symphonies. I think the Piano Concerto No 2 is a lovely piece. A real charmer. It sounds so distinctive from any other British piano concerto I know. I also like the accompanying,Sinfonietta No 1,very much. (I also rather like the Reizenstein Piano Concerto,with which it's pared,but the Bate is the stand out). I wish Dutton would record more,too! (Or Chandos.....or Cpo!! And what about Somm? Just more,Bate,please!) :))
Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 10:18:47 pm »

I share people's enthusiasm for Bate.  The Dutton Bate and Bell Viola Concertos CD was marvellous.  A pity there is only Bell's South African Symphony on Marco Polo to go along with his Rosa Mystica Viola Concerto.

The Dutton Bate and Chisholm CD is even better in my opinion and the Fourth Symphony is equal to the Third, albeit less immediately appealing.  The 2nd and 3rd Piano Concertos are attractive, the Cello Concerto perhaps less so.

I would love to hear the Violin Concertos.  If I recall correctly the Third Concerto was composed for Yehudi Menuhin and Dutton were considering recording it several years ago.  There was a Dutch radio broadcast of the first or second Concerto in the 1950s I think.

The cellist who recorded the Cello Concerto used a Kickstarter appeal to raise the funds and himself prepared the score.  Perhaps this is what is needed to bring recordings of the Violin Concertos to pass.  I have read the scores do exist for them.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. The Bate/Chisholm CD on Dutton is my favourite Dutton release (Arnell's 3rd and 5th symphonies and Steinberg's 4th Symphony rate very highly as well.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: