The Art-Music Forum
July 11, 2020, 10:12:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Grace Williams on the BBC

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace Williams on the BBC  (Read 195 times)
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2020, 11:37:38 am »

Starting tomorrow, BBC Radio 3 is to broadcast a series of Afternoon Concerts featuring the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, and including works by Grace Williams.  For example, on Tuesday 24 March there is her Symphony no 2 (a different performance from the one available commercially):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gm67
and on Friday 27 March we have her Violin Concerto (which as far as I can ascertain hasn't been commercially recorded):
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gmyz
The concerts start at 14:00 local time.   These aren't live broadcasts so as far as I can see the scheduling shouldn't be affected by coronavirus.
The programmes will be available for catch-up afterwards on BBC Sounds.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 20

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 10:48:31 pm »

Well, this is very disappointing. Trying to listen on BBC Sounds and the Symphony No. 2 won't play, though everything else in that concert seems to be available - and I see no sign of the Violin Concerto on Friday 27th - just the Sea Sketches. Another triumph for the BBC.
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:38:53 am »

Yes, I particularly wanted to hear the violin concerto as I already have a commercial recording of Sym 2.  I am assuming the concert was changed due to coronavirus, but a few words of explanation from the announcer would have been appreciated.  Also some indication as to when (or whether) we might hear the violin concerto again.

I don't know why we can't play the symphony from the "music played" list on the website - the play button is greyed out.   But you can still hear the whole concert by clicking on "listen now".  The Grace Williams symphony begins at 1h 49m.  Alternatively I think you should be able to get straight to the concert on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gm67

This may not apply if you are outwith the UK.

Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 10:45:35 am »

Thanks for the advice. I will try listening to the whole concert in order to hear Symphony No. 2. I do hope the violin concerto will be broadcast eventually.
Report Spam   Logged
paul corfield godfrey
Level 1

Times thanked: 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 12:24:01 pm »

Despite the statement above, the broadcast on 27 March was scheduled to have been from a live concert which - as your previous correspondents have correctly surmised - was cancelled as a result of emergency pandemic measures (I was scheduled to have reviewed the concert).

Oddly enough Radio Times for that week advertised the VAUGHAN Williams Violin Concerto as forming part of the broadcast, which I presume was a simple mistake. The programme for the BBC NOW season clearly showed that the intention had been to perform the GRACE Williams. I would have thought however that a word of explanation from the announcer as to the change of schedule would have been useful.

Hopefully the BBC will re-schedule the performance of the Grace Williams concerto for next season.
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:44 pm »

Many thanks for your explanation, Mr Godfrey.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 05:14:03 pm »

Yes, indeed. Many Thanks - and let us hope the Violin Concerto will be rescheduled for a later concert.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: