The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:36:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos series - next issue Rubbra and Bliss

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos series - next issue Rubbra and Bliss  (Read 1973 times)
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 09:59:36 pm »

What about the moribund Romantic Violin Concerto and Romantic Cello Concerto series?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 11:47:24 pm »

What about them? This thread is about the RPC series.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 01:37:38 am »

What about the moribund Romantic Violin Concerto and Romantic Cello Concerto series?

Start a separate thread please..
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 02:08:42 am »

Start a separate thread please..

Geez, I see nothing inappropriate in Jim referring to Hyperion's corresponding Violin & Cello Concerto series' here.  Our minds move and we often post by association, and this was a quite natural and understandable one IMO, and worth responding to and pursuing on the very same thread initially concerning the Piano Concerto series (discussion of which can continue as well).  It's not like there's such an over abundance of activity we should worry too much of topics bleeding into one another (when there's a rational basis) and thereby making our exchanges unwieldy.  It's a good question, - what HAS become of the Romantic Violin & Cello Concerto series'?  When and what was the last issue in these, - and does anyone know of plans for their continuation?  Why might they have stopped?  There's an abundance of unrecorded material along these lines that could stand a recording by Hyperion quite as urgently as with the PC's.   Is broadening our consideration such a disruption?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 04:03:26 am »

Good question.... I don't know what happened to those series.... I know I have a few of the Romantic Violin Concerto series CDs... 
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 05:23:30 am »

Which may be the end of the discussion so concerning, hehe.  But we needn't pre-empt it. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »

Some Belgian & Dutch candidates for the RPC series: Paul Gilson: 2 concertos; Carl Smulders: concerto in a (1892); August de Boeck; Jean Absil; Joseph Jongen's op.127; Marinus de Jong; Luctor Ponse; Jan Koetsier; Ignace Lilien; Herman Mulder; Cor de Groot (the excellent Debussy interpreter)...
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 03:47:50 am »

Which recognized composers DIDN'T write a PC worthy for inclusion in Hyperion's series?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2020, 07:51:37 am »

Sibelius, Wagner, Verdi, Puccini, Smetana, Borodin, Mussorgsky, Elgar (the completion is IMHO certainly not worthy of inclusion), Bantock, Ethel Smyth, etc., etc.
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:25 pm »

Oh, yes. Quite. I mentioned those British composers just to assure Albion that there were still plenty of those to choose from. The number of worthwhile Romantic piano & orchestra works by non-British composers that remain unrecorded is enormous.

Yes  in the whole catalogue of Romantic Piano Concertos.. they have only scratched the surface.  Vox did a series in the 1980s/1990s but it only went to Vol 3 or 4. Darzins (Latvian) piano concerto, Garuta (another great one)... Lydia Auster's Piano Concerto.. 2 that I can think of whilest drinking my coffee.

How Romantic are they, particularly Dārziņš and Auster?
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 05:09:33 pm »

As much so as Rubbra and Bliss?  But they're un-British, which lessens their chances of sneaking in.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 09:26:15 pm »

Well, I had to get this, despite having "stopped buying CDs". How wonderful it is! The Rubbra concerto has long been a favourite work, despite my acquaintance with it having been solely from the scratchy old LP (with that wonderful glassy cover art). Having a modern stereo recording is great. What an unsung masterpiece it is! Mind you, I have to ration my listening to Rubbra's music - I find it emotionally exhausting.

It is also a very fine recording of the Bliss - I had forgotten what a good piece this is. Would go down so well in the concert hall. Interesting to read that Solomon (who gave the premiere) was quite nervous as to his ability to bring it off.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 09:38:06 pm »

Well, I had to get this, despite having "stopped buying CDs". How wonderful it is! The Rubbra concerto has long been a favourite work, despite my acquaintance with it having been solely from the scratchy old LP (with that wonderful glassy cover art). Having a modern stereo recording is great. What an unsung masterpiece it is! Mind you, I have to ration my listening to Rubbra's music - I find it emotionally exhausting.

It is also a very fine recording of the Bliss - I had forgotten what a good piece this is. Would go down so well in the concert hall. Interesting to read that Solomon (who gave the premiere) was quite nervous as to his ability to bring it off.

Yes  I just got my copy in the mail last week...and been playing it over the last week...  Bliss is wonderful.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 10:58:41 pm »

Oh, yes. Quite. I mentioned those British composers just to assure Albion that there were still plenty of those to choose from. The number of worthwhile Romantic piano & orchestra works by non-British composers that remain unrecorded is enormous.

Yes  in the whole catalogue of Romantic Piano Concertos.. they have only scratched the surface.  Vox did a series in the 1980s/1990s but it only went to Vol 3 or 4. Darzins (Latvian) piano concerto, Garuta (another great one)... Lydia Auster's Piano Concerto.. 2 that I can think of whilest drinking my coffee.

Auster I find very Romantic. Darzins (actually 2 concertos) is certainly neo-Romantic, along with what I consider more than a little jazz influence sneaking in around the edges (although not nearly so much as, say, Kapustin).
How Romantic are they, particularly Dārziņš and Auster?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: