The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:26:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos series - next issue Rubbra and Bliss

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyperion Romantic Piano Concertos series - next issue Rubbra and Bliss  (Read 1987 times)
jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:09:15 pm »

Announced as ‘ Coming soon’ on Hyperion’s website - the Piano Concertos by Rubbra and Bliss, played by Piers Lane.
The two existing recordings of the Rubbra, a much underrated work, by Denis Matthews and Malcolm  Binns, are elderly and in mono, so a new recording is much to be welcomed.
As for the Bliss, a modern recording is a bonus.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »

Announced as ‘ Coming soon’ on Hyperion’s website - the Piano Concertos by Rubbra and Bliss, played by Piers Lane.
The two existing recordings of the Rubbra, a much underrated work, by Denis Matthews and Malcolm  Binns, are elderly and in mono, so a new recording is much to be welcomed.

Having being an avid collector of the Hyperion RPC series until the early volumes in the 20s and then been very choosey, I will consider this release. Whilst I have a recording of the Rubbra, I haven't listened to it for years and don't recall a note. The Cello Concerto and, especially, the Violin Concerto of Bliss, to my mind, are much more interesting than the Piano Concerto.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 08:51:37 am »

Good news indeed. A small point of correction (as an owner of the CD of the Binns performance). As far as I can see this is a stereo recording  - from the BBC, of a concert given in 1976 for Rubbra's 75th birthday. celebrations.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 02:28:24 pm »

You are, of course, correct, but I stick by ‘elderly’ !
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 05:29:01 pm »

Not on my shopping list, frankly.  The Bliss Concerto is rather too much tub-thumping for me, and while I value the Rubbra, Binns will continue to work just fine. 
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:50:14 am »

June, 26th https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8773246--rubbra-bliss-piano-concertos
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 01:33:53 am »

Having being an avid collector of the Hyperion RPC series until the early volumes in the 20s and then been very choosey, I will consider this release. Whilst I have a recording of the Rubbra, I haven't listened to it for years and don't recall a note. The Cello Concerto and, especially, the Violin Concerto of Bliss, to my mind, are much more interesting than the Piano Concerto.

Glad to see that....  Since I have all 80 CDs in the series.. I look forward to #81.  Number 80 with Dupont/Benoit was wonderful ..
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 09:10:49 am »

Is Hyperion running out of worthy "Romantic Piano Concertos" for the series, or could it conceivably reach 100, or even 200?

Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 11:00:20 am »

They will have no difficulty in reaching 100, believe me. 200? Well, some of us may not be around to find out!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:15:17 pm »

In terms of British Romantic PCs I am now scratching around to think what else might possibly be included! George Macfarren (1835, if extant) possibly, the elusive Sterndale Bennett 6th hopefully, likewise Holbrooke's "L'Orient". Otherwise it would seem that the series has (very welcome as the idea is) covered the bases pretty well in terms of what is practicable to revive. Bliss and Rubbra strike me as odd inclusions but if the release brings these works to a wider audience I would be the first to applaud Hyperion.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 02:26:35 am »

Gaze Cooper, Stanley Wilson, William Baines, Lawrance Collingwood, Kathleen Bruckshaw, Ethel Scarborough, Tobias Matthay, Felix Borowski, Caryl Florio, Percy Sherwood (no. 1), Arthur Hinton, Brian Easdale, Frank Merrick, Frank Tapp... all British and all with extant scores for piano and orchestra.
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 03:27:00 am »

But the series is not BRITISH Romantic PCs is it?  I would think there's potentially still lots of ground to cover.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 07:43:25 am »

Oh, yes. Quite. I mentioned those British composers just to assure Albion that there were still plenty of those to choose from. The number of worthwhile Romantic piano & orchestra works by non-British composers that remain unrecorded is enormous.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 08:35:33 am »

It is scheduled for release at the end of June, and also includes Bax’s Morning Song (Maytime in Sussex)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 03:25:44 pm »

Oh, yes. Quite. I mentioned those British composers just to assure Albion that there were still plenty of those to choose from. The number of worthwhile Romantic piano & orchestra works by non-British composers that remain unrecorded is enormous.

Yes  in the whole catalogue of Romantic Piano Concertos.. they have only scratched the surface.  Vox did a series in the 1980s/1990s but it only went to Vol 3 or 4. Darzins (Latvian) piano concerto, Garuta (another great one)... Lydia Auster's Piano Concerto.. 2 that I can think of whilest drinking my coffee.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: