The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:29:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Swedish Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish Music  (Read 9293 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 10:31:10 pm »

Hans Eklund
1927–1999
[...]
Symphony No. 8 "Sinfonia grave" (1984)
Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra / Unknown conductor
http://www.mediafire.com/download/boa4wi3an5yrink/Eklund_Symphony_8.rar

Many thanks to Holger once again. Just a while guess: I do not think that each of these symphonies was performed many times by the same orchestra, unfortunately, so there is some probability that this may be the recording from the world première, given on December 17, 1986 at Konserthuset in Stockholm. The conductor was Serge Baudo.

I would not endorse the statement that Pettersson is over-praised (to me, he is rather slowly being recognised as the major symphonist he is) but to the point, indeed there should be more commercial recordings of Eklund's symphonies, E. von Koch's... Incredibly, there is no commercial recording of Rosenberg's 1st or 7th (not even on LP), no modern one of his 5th, 8th, none of Hermanson's beyond the 1st, Y. Sköld's 1, 3 and 4 missing, etc. To be fair, Nordic countries are still better at defending their symphonic repertoire than many others, including France ::)
I have mixed emotions about Pettersson - IMHO, when he is good, he is magnificent - symphony 7, 8 and 9 and 2 in that order esp 7, are great as are his Concerti. When he is not good, he is brooding,wallowing, wailing and requires the proper mindset(to be kind). His later symphonies seem less inspired and written upon demand rather than inspiration and I have purchased them all.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:38 am »

Please amend my following post to exclude symphony 9, and include 6, which is a fabulous work..
The Mesto Symphonic Poem and The Symphonic Movement (usually coupled with Symphony 2) are also not to be missed.

I have mixed emotions about Pettersson - IMHO, when he is good, he is magnificent - symphony 7,8 and 9 and 2 in that order esp 7, are great as are his Concerti. When he is not good, he is brooding,wallowing, wailing and requires the proper mindset(to be kind). His later symphonies seem less inspired and written upon demand rather than inspiration and I have purchased them all.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:50 am »

Great to see my Eklund uploads are that well received. I will try to get some more Eklund symphony, there should be a chance to get hold of some of the earlier ones...

ttle, you are right that in general, Scandinavian symphonism is fairly well-represented on disc (at least in comparison to other countries). The gaps you correctly point out are therefore even more striking. Eklund's music is powerful, compact and emotionally appealing. It's really stunning how consequently his symphonies have been ignored by recording companies (except No. 6, to some degree).

I also thought that Baudo might be the conductor of No. 8 (as I had a look at the sites of the Swedish MIC). Like you, I also thought that the work shouldn't have got that many performances so that the chance that it's really Baudo conducting might be fairly good. What then made me a little more careful again is that the performers of No. 7, however, do not coincide with those of the world première, in fact.
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 03:55:30 am »

Would love some more Eklund.  I find his music most interesting!!!! Malito
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:11 am »

Would love some more Eklund.  I find his music most interesting!!!! Malito
Check the broadcasts for Eklund, Swedish radio often carries Eklund's music..
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 11:00:39 am »

Nice to get another version of Hilding Rosenberg's Symphony No.2...only available elsewhere in an old Swedish Society Discofil recording.

We are now getting to the stage where-if one excludes my oft-mentioned British composers whose symphonies go unrecorded-Rosenberg must be the most important 20th century symphonic composer who has no integral set of the symphonies either on disc or indeed promised by any record company :( :(

Can't say this brings any better news on the recordings front, but members may be curious to note that intoclassics.net has uploaded a sizeable stash of music by Hilding Rosenberg - here. If you can't understand Russian or your browser doesn't automatically translate it just scroll down to the files.mail.ru link at the bottom of the page. I don't know if any of these works/performances are new to you (or whether they, in fact, originated here/at UC and are simply making their way around the internets).

I do not know much of Rosenberg's music, but do recall enjoying the 4th and 5th string quartets quite a bit, so perhaps I'll try to snag some of these.
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 09:12:45 pm »

Hello Colin,

thank you for posting the 2nd VC of Erland v. Koch - unfortunately I haven't yet had any time to listen to it,
but I hope this will be a really exciting new discovery for me!
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 04:30:21 am »

Anyone happen to know the movement headings for Hilding Rosenberg's Symphonies 1, 2, 7 & 8? Thanks in advance...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 02:21:40 pm »

Anyone happen to know the movement headings for Hilding Rosenberg's Symphonies 1, 2, 7 & 8? Thanks in advance...

Well I can tell you that the movements of the Symphony No.2 are Allegro energico; Poco adagio-Allegro assai-Poco allegro-Allegro assai; Allegro risoluto.

Unfortunately the Rosenberg Pages website seems to have disappeared so I can't help with the other three symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »

I uploaded Nos. 1 and 7 in good old UC days, both recordings from Swedish Radio P2. They didn't provide movement headings.
Sicmu uploaded No. 8 including a photograph of the LP back-cover. No movement headings were given for the Symphony, though. Sorry.
Report Spam   Logged
dyn
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:48 am »

Thanks to both of you—I'll just label the remaining symphonies "Movement I/II/III" etc, where an obvious movement break can be found, until further information materialises.

(it helps that Nos. 7 and 8 are either in one movement, or several continuous, interrelated ones :facepalm: )

EDIT: Found the Hilding Rosenberg Pages on the Wayback Machine. They list the movements for Symphony No 1 as Moderato, Allegretto, Allegro grazioso, Andante molto - Allegro moderato.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 03:34:23 pm »

"The Wayback Machine" :)   Now that is a useful device :)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 03:37:22 pm »

But you can't download yourself there! :(
Report Spam   Logged
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »

Music of Hans Eklund

From the collection of Karl Miller.

For those of you who are looking for more Eklund- try these out!

Recordings are from radio broadcasts or personal collections.  To the best of my knowledge, none of these has been released commercially.

My thanks to Colin Mackie (aka "Dundonnell") for allowing me to include a catalog of Eklund's compositions as part of this download.

Symphony 2 "Sinfonia Breve(In Memoriam)" (1964)
Swedish Radio SO/Stig Westerberg

Symphony 3 "Sinfonia Rustica" (1967-8)

Symphony 4:  “Hjalmar Brantig in Memoriam” for narrator and orchestra (1974)

Symphony 5: "Quadri" (1977)

Piano Concerto
Rune Jansson, piano
SWD/Sten Frykberg

From Swedish Radio-- pulled from Youtube posting.
Symphony 11 "Sinfonia Piccola" 1995

If you are interested, there is a posting of Symphony 6 (I have not included this since it is possibly commercial)

Description of Eklund from Swedish Music Information Center:

Eklund's artistic temperament is made up of aggressive power and a plaintive introversion. His humour is equally obvious, but also equally ambivalent, oscillating between the exuberantly burlesque and more complicated, grotesque eruptions.

Born in Sandviken on 1st July 1927, died in Stockholm on 8th March 1999. He studied at the State Academy of Music in Stockholm 1947-1952, where he was taught by Alf Linder (organ) and Sven Brandel (piano). He studied counterpoint under Åke Uddén and composition with Lars-Erik Larsson. During these years Eklund also found time to study conducting with Tor Mann. He continued his composition studies abroad, under Ernst Pepping in Berlin. In addition to his achievement as a composer, a profession to which he has always devoted his full energies, he has acquired a reputation as a teacher. He taught the theory of music at the Stockholm Citizens’ School 1961-1967, and in 1964 he joined the staff of the State Academy of Music in Stockholm, where he taught harmony and counterpoint. Between 1954 and 1956 Eklund received a Composer's Scholarship from the Swedish Government.

Technically speaking, Eklund predominantly employs a distinct, simple rhythm and a sophisticated treatment of melody. He aims for independent clarity in the individual parts and also at fullness of substance in the polyphonic contrapuntal movements. His musical imagination is convincing, both in his unashamedly cheerful pieces and on occasions when he carefully builds up his music into larger forms; on these latter occasions he can achieve a profound gravity which compels one to regard him as a “confessing artist“ of inner necessity.

Hans-Gunnar Peterson
Source: STIM / Swedish Music Information Centre

Description from Requiem Survey.org.
Hans Eklund, (01/07/1927 - 08/03/1999), a Swedish composer and teacher, born in Sandviken. After attending the Stockholm Musikhögskolan (1947- 52) he studied composition with Larsson and with Pepping in Berlin (1953-4); and in 1957 he studied opera in Rome. In 1964 he was appointed to teach counterpoint and harmony at the Stockholm Musikhögskolan. Most of his compositions are instrumental and are marked by a solid technique developed principally from Hindemith and Reger; the concertante Musica da camera pieces are modelled after Hindemith’s Kammermusik series. Musik för Orkester which marked a turning- point in his career, was followed by four symphonies, the second of which was a bitter reaction to hypocrisy. The third was suggested by the landscape and folk music of Gotland. He has never been interested in electronical music.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2014, 02:49:07 am »

Profound thanks to Karl Miller for supplying these Eklund recordings and to John (jowcol) for uploading them for us :) :)

Eklund was a remarkable composer. I happen to rate him up there with Allan Pettersson as one of the very best of the more modern but not avant-garde Swedish composers.
We already have the symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 11 but now we have added Nos. 2, 4, 5, and the Piano Concerto. Only the Ninth and Tenth symphonies elude us.

This will provide a wonderful opportunity to sample more of the music of a composer unaccountably ignored by commercial recording companies ::) Eklund is, apparently, of no interest to Robert von Bahr and BIS :(

(With the You Tube additions of more previously unheard British music today has been like Christmas-time, unwrapping musical presents :))
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: