The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:25:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Swedish Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish Music  (Read 9278 times)
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 12:10:27 am »

I have just uploaded a couple of works by Allan Pettersson.
During the 1994/95 concert season the Westdeutsche Rundfunk (WDR) organized a series of Pettersson performances in several cities of North Rhine-Westphalia. The intention was to make Pettersson's music more popular in Germany. Many concerts were broadcast live or at a later time. The technical quality is not the best; some orchestras were from small cities and you can hear that they had to struggle hard at times.
I live near Osnabrück which doesn't belong to North Rhine-Westphalia but was included due to the commitment of our then chief conductor Jean-Francois Monnard. He was a great Pettersson conductor and programmed Symphonies Nos. 5, 7 and 8 during his tenure. I guess few of you can claim to have attended live performances of THREE Pettersson symphonies! Unfortunately Monnard's No. 5 hasn't been recorded for broadcast.

An apology: Symphony No. 9 has a small gap at about 46:38 min when I had to turn the cassette.
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 02:21:55 am »

I have just uploaded a couple of works by Allan Pettersson.
During the 1994/95 concert season the Westdeutsche Rundfunk (WDR) organized a series of Pettersson performances in several cities of North Rhine-Westphalia. The intention was to make Pettersson's music more popular in Germany. Many concerts were broadcast live or at a later time. The technical quality is not the best; some orchestras were from small cities and you can hear that they had to struggle hard at times.
I live near Osnabrück which doesn't belong to North Rhine-Westphalia but was included due to the commitment of our then chief conductor Jean-Francois Monnard. He was a great Pettersson conductor and programmed Symphonies Nos. 5, 7 and 8 during his tenure. I guess few of you can claim to have attended live performances of THREE Pettersson symphonies! Unfortunately Monnard's No. 5 hasn't been recorded for broadcast.

An apology: Symphony No. 9 has a small gap at about 46:38 min when I had to turn the cassette.

I noticed them now. Many many thanks again!! :)   Atsushi
Report Spam   Logged
Jim
Level 2

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:11 pm »

Many thanks for the Pettersson uploads - nice to hear a different performance Vox Humana and the 12th.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 07:34:16 am »

The download of Atterberg's Romantic Prelude to Per Svinaherde, Op. 9, doesn't download as an MP3 but as an unknown file that can't be opened by any audio program or converted by any conversion program.  As a matter of fact, it can't even be read as an audio file by my conversion programs.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:35 pm »

The download of Atterberg's Romantic Prelude to Per Svinaherde, Op. 9, doesn't download as an MP3 but as an unknown file that can't be opened by any audio program or converted by any conversion program.  As a matter of fact, it can't even be read as an audio file by my conversion programs.

Have you tried renaming the file extension before opening the program? I don't know if that's the problem here, but it's worked for me in other instances.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:21 pm »

Have you tried renaming the file extension before opening the program? I don't know if that's the problem here, but it's worked for me in other instances.

Yes, that's exactly what you have to do: just rename the file by adding an .mp3 at the end. Then everything will be OK.
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21:51 pm »

I am sorry, I changed the dot before the mp3 ending for a comma by mistake. Now corrected!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:20 am »

Nice to get another version of Hilding Rosenberg's Symphony No.2...only available elsewhere in an old Swedish Society Discofil recording.

We are now getting to the stage where-if one excludes my oft-mentioned British composers whose symphonies go unrecorded-Rosenberg must be the most important 20th century symphonic composer who has no integral set of the symphonies either on disc or indeed promised by any record company :( :(
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:25 am »

Does anyone have Von Koch Symphony no 1?
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 07:16:48 pm »

Many thanks for the Hallnas works, Matthias :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »

OH JOY, indeed :) :)

More Eklund symphonies :) :)

Thank you so very very much to out two German members :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 05:49:31 pm »

OH JOY, indeed :) :)

More Eklund symphonies :) :)

Thank you so very very much to out two German members :)

Ditto :)
Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

:)So glad to have more Eklund.  Why isn't he represented on disc?  This made my Saturday morning.  Thank You!  (Danke)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2013, 10:12:17 pm »

Listening to these Eklund symphonies (which are, I freely admit it, just exactly "my cup of tea") just once again leaves me utterly astonished why music of such quality should be so totally neglected and ignored on disc :( >:(

Eklund seems to me a composer who can well stand comparison with the over-praised Allan Pettersson-who has a complete CPO cycle and a BIS cycle underway. Eklund's symphonies are within the "received tradition" and would appeal to anyone who can cope with Pettersson or BIS's pet Finn, Kalevi Aho(whose music I admire intensely, may I quickly add).

Instead of adding what I think are almost completely superfluous additions to the already recorded repertoire of well-established pieces(Dvorak symphonies, for heaven's sake ::)) or re-recording every scrap of music Sibelius ever composed(including music he discarded and was ashamed of) BIS should be giving this splendid SWEDISH composer the chance he needs.

The recording of the Symphony No.11(not necessarily Eklund's finest work) comes from Swedish Radio obviously....so maybe Eklund's time will come soon ??? The Symphony No.8 "Sinfonia grave" and the Symphony No.6 "Sinfonia senza speranza" are masterpieces.

CPO might be interested.....but it would take them ten years + to work their way through the cycle(or maybe not if they can emulate the speed at which they released their Panufnik series  ;D_ Yes...Panufnik: another composer whose music we were told by Chandos was unrecordable because "it wouldn't sell".

I know that I am a Scandinavian-music fan(or fanatic, if you prefer ;D) but this music excites me so much :)
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 07:13:33 pm »

Hans Eklund
1927–1999
[...]
Symphony No. 8 "Sinfonia grave" (1984)
Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra / Unknown conductor
http://www.mediafire.com/download/boa4wi3an5yrink/Eklund_Symphony_8.rar

Many thanks to Holger once again. Just a while guess: I do not think that each of these symphonies was performed many times by the same orchestra, unfortunately, so there is some probability that this may be the recording from the world première, given on December 17, 1986 at Konserthuset in Stockholm. The conductor was Serge Baudo.

I would not endorse the statement that Pettersson is over-praised (to me, he is rather slowly being recognised as the major symphonist he is) but to the point, indeed there should be more commercial recordings of Eklund's symphonies, E. von Koch's... Incredibly, there is no commercial recording of Rosenberg's 1st or 7th (not even on LP), no modern one of his 5th, 8th, none of Hermanson's beyond the 1st, Y. Sköld's 1, 3 and 4 missing, etc. To be fair, Nordic countries are still better at defending their symphonic repertoire than many others, including France ::)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: