The Art-Music Forum
January 19, 2020, 02:08:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Swedish Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish Music  (Read 4102 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 05:13:40 pm »

Music of Hans Eklund

From the collection of Karl Miller.

For those of you who are looking for more Eklund- try these out!

Recordings are from radio broadcasts or personal collections.  To the best of my knowledge, none of these has been released commercially.

My thanks to Colin Mackie (aka "Dundonnell") for allowing me to include a catalog of Eklund's compositions as part of this download.

Symphony 2 "Sinfonia Breve(In Memoriam)" (1964)
Swedish Radio SO/Stig Westerberg

Symphony 3 "Sinfonia Rustica" (1967-8)

Symphony 4:  “Hjalmar Brantig in Memoriam” for narrator and orchestra (1974)

Symphony 5: "Quadri" (1977)

Piano Concerto
Rune Jansson, piano
SWD/Sten Frykberg

From Swedish Radio-- pulled from Youtube posting.
Symphony 11 "Sinfonia Piccola" 1995

If you are interested, there is a posting of Symphony 6 (I have not included this since it is possibly commercial)

Description of Eklund from Swedish Music Information Center:

Eklund's artistic temperament is made up of aggressive power and a plaintive introversion. His humour is equally obvious, but also equally ambivalent, oscillating between the exuberantly burlesque and more complicated, grotesque eruptions.

Born in Sandviken on 1st July 1927, died in Stockholm on 8th March 1999. He studied at the State Academy of Music in Stockholm 1947-1952, where he was taught by Alf Linder (organ) and Sven Brandel (piano). He studied counterpoint under Åke Uddén and composition with Lars-Erik Larsson. During these years Eklund also found time to study conducting with Tor Mann. He continued his composition studies abroad, under Ernst Pepping in Berlin. In addition to his achievement as a composer, a profession to which he has always devoted his full energies, he has acquired a reputation as a teacher. He taught the theory of music at the Stockholm Citizens’ School 1961-1967, and in 1964 he joined the staff of the State Academy of Music in Stockholm, where he taught harmony and counterpoint. Between 1954 and 1956 Eklund received a Composer's Scholarship from the Swedish Government.

Technically speaking, Eklund predominantly employs a distinct, simple rhythm and a sophisticated treatment of melody. He aims for independent clarity in the individual parts and also at fullness of substance in the polyphonic contrapuntal movements. His musical imagination is convincing, both in his unashamedly cheerful pieces and on occasions when he carefully builds up his music into larger forms; on these latter occasions he can achieve a profound gravity which compels one to regard him as a “confessing artist“ of inner necessity.

Hans-Gunnar Peterson
Source: STIM / Swedish Music Information Centre

Description from Requiem Survey.org.
Hans Eklund, (01/07/1927 - 08/03/1999), a Swedish composer and teacher, born in Sandviken. After attending the Stockholm Musikhögskolan (1947- 52) he studied composition with Larsson and with Pepping in Berlin (1953-4); and in 1957 he studied opera in Rome. In 1964 he was appointed to teach counterpoint and harmony at the Stockholm Musikhögskolan. Most of his compositions are instrumental and are marked by a solid technique developed principally from Hindemith and Reger; the concertante Musica da camera pieces are modelled after Hindemith’s Kammermusik series. Musik för Orkester which marked a turning- point in his career, was followed by four symphonies, the second of which was a bitter reaction to hypocrisy. The third was suggested by the landscape and folk music of Gotland. He has never been interested in electronical music.
Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: