The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:26:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Swedish Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish Music  (Read 9264 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 10:12:17 pm »

Listening to these Eklund symphonies (which are, I freely admit it, just exactly "my cup of tea") just once again leaves me utterly astonished why music of such quality should be so totally neglected and ignored on disc :( >:(

Eklund seems to me a composer who can well stand comparison with the over-praised Allan Pettersson-who has a complete CPO cycle and a BIS cycle underway. Eklund's symphonies are within the "received tradition" and would appeal to anyone who can cope with Pettersson or BIS's pet Finn, Kalevi Aho(whose music I admire intensely, may I quickly add).

Instead of adding what I think are almost completely superfluous additions to the already recorded repertoire of well-established pieces(Dvorak symphonies, for heaven's sake ::)) or re-recording every scrap of music Sibelius ever composed(including music he discarded and was ashamed of) BIS should be giving this splendid SWEDISH composer the chance he needs.

The recording of the Symphony No.11(not necessarily Eklund's finest work) comes from Swedish Radio obviously....so maybe Eklund's time will come soon ??? The Symphony No.8 "Sinfonia grave" and the Symphony No.6 "Sinfonia senza speranza" are masterpieces.

CPO might be interested.....but it would take them ten years + to work their way through the cycle(or maybe not if they can emulate the speed at which they released their Panufnik series  ;D_ Yes...Panufnik: another composer whose music we were told by Chandos was unrecordable because "it wouldn't sell".

I know that I am a Scandinavian-music fan(or fanatic, if you prefer ;D) but this music excites me so much :)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: