The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:40:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New Dutton CD releases - February/March 2020

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Dutton CD releases - February/March 2020  (Read 1084 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:43:01 pm »

So far as I can see, the following are the new releases:

ARTHUR SULLIVAN • Haddon Hall & ERNEST FORD • Mr Jericho & FRANCOIS CELLIER • Captain Billy

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=2CDLX7372

Robert Schumann - Concerto (Concertstück) & Alfredo Piatti - Concertino / Concerto No. 2

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7371

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS • Household Music, Horn Sonata, Quintet & ARNOLD BAX • Horn Sonata

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7373

Anton Simon - Piano Concerto, La revue de nuit, Danse de Bayadère, Plainte élégiaque & Cecile Chaminade - Suite No. 1 for orchestra

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7374

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:35:34 am »

Anyone excited by one or more of these releases?

What's Dutton thinking?

It's a sad decline if you ask me, but there must be some marketing rationale, I suppose, aimed at different tastes than my own.

If he were here, I think Colin would agree.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 08:24:10 am »

I am remotely interested in the cello CD, as I play the cello myself and the name Piatti is familiar to me. So, getting a chance of listening to his cello concertos will be nice even if I do not expect particularly much.

In general, however, I can only agree with Greg, it's a sad development, thinking of all the British releases from the past one or two decades, and also keeping in mind that still just a few years ago, they did release Steinberg's Turksib, just to pick out one example I was especially delighted to get.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:53:26 am »

The Sullivan is a CD sponsored by the Arthur Sullivan Society.  The cello CD includes 2 premiere recordings including the original version of the Schumann. Both the other CDs include either performing editions or completions and realisations by Martin Yates, a major Dutton conductor.  I guess that these are the reasons behind the releases.

Until last year Sullivan was not a composer that interested me much.  That has now changed so I have ordered the Sullivan CD.  Although Schumann is one of my favourite composers and his Cello Concerto is a fantastic piece, I am not tempted by the original version. I am guessing other lovers of Schumann’s music will think differently.  My interest in chamber music is limited, notwithstanding my interest in Vaughan Williams and Bax.  However that disc too involves world premiere recordings and a completion and realisation by Martin Yates.  Completists will surely be interested in it.  The French disc includes mostly world premieres and might be a fabulous release to admirers of these composers.

So well done to Dutton for producing such enterprising releases.  I have known for sometime that I would definitely be purchasing one of their new releases.  Whilst I had hoped it would be more, I am sure these releases will bring pleasure to others.  I am hopeful that, in due course, Dutton will release recordings of works that I am interested in.

I hope this new batch sells well.

Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 03:38:14 am »

As a Sullivan Society member I was aware of the Hidden Hall project. I can't say it's my favourite and didn't particularly think it a priority for a recording (the existing amateur recordings are pretty good), but I am ready to be converted as I was by the Beauty Stone Chandos recording. I'm much more excited by the Cellier and Ford short pieces that are included, as I believe these are the first works by these composers to be recorded, and we are gradually coming to see more of the context in which the Savoy operas were written.

None of the other releases much interests me. I'll buy the Vaughan Williams, but can't imagine it's anything special. However, considering that Dutton has in the last couple of years given us The Mountebanks, The Light of the World,  new new Spanish Lady Suite, The Vision of Cleopatra and the Arne Judgement of Paris, I don't think we can proclaim its decline too loudly. At least we seem to have come to the end of the various geographical suites by John Foulds, which did little to enhance and possibly a lot to damage, that composer's reputation.

Enough of my bigoted opinions for you? I'll pause for breath...
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:45:32 pm »

If he were here, I think Colin would agree.

What has happened to Colin?
Report Spam   Logged
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:27:18 pm »

What has happened to Colin?

I wish we knew.   He's been absent since last August.
Report Spam   Logged
guest251
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 11:31:47 am »

I hope he's OK. He hasn't posted recently on musicwebinternational message boards either.  :-\
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 07:16:01 am »

For me the Antoine/Anton Simon SACD is a sure buy because I'm interested in the many orchestral works by more obscure or forgotten composers. And .... I think it's very hard to keep a record company like Dutton running in these 'hostile' circumstances for classical music. So I support them.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 06:00:57 am »

Yes, I usually buy all of their British releases, even if I'm not particularly bothered by them. I am very grateful for countless releases they have given us, especially of some of my favourites, Brian, Holbrooke, Sullivan and they have introduced me to a good number of other names.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »

My copy of Sullivan's Haddon Hall arrived today.

After ripping the CD to iTunes and uploading the tracks to its database, I went to the Dutton web page to download the librettos of Haddon Hall and its companion operettas - from where the booklet said they were downloadable.  At present they are nowhere to be seen.  :-\ :'(

It's possible that their availability has been delayed.  However, both Chandos and Hyperion win hands down over Dutton when its comes to downloading CD Booklets.  Dutton's Classical CD Booklets are nowhere to be found on its site. A pity  >:( :( :-[

Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 10:42:11 am »

That's annoying, especially the libretti of the companion pieces which must be pretty uncommon to find.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: