The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:06:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Louis Thirion and Jacques Thierac symphonies on Forgotten Records

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louis Thirion and Jacques Thierac symphonies on Forgotten Records  (Read 989 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:44 am »

How about this release? https://forgottenrecords.com/en/thirion-symphonie-n-2-thierac-symphonie-normande-eugene-bigot-fr1741
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 04:57:43 pm »

The Thirion recording one can hear on YouTube.  I found the work pretty unmemorable (to be kind).
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 09:32:42 pm »

My recollection is that the YT version is a terrible old radio recording, unless things have changed. I found it a very fine work.

(edit) Oh dear, I see this CD is the same old 1959 radio broadcast. What a disappointment. This work deserves a new performance.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:44:22 pm »

My recollection is that the YT version is a terrible old radio recording, unless things have changed. I found it a very fine work.

(edit) Oh dear, I see this CD is the same old 1959 radio broadcast. What a disappointment. This work deserves a new performance.

Are you suggesting you've heard an alternative performance, - or that despite the "terrible old radio recording" you find it a very fine work nonetheless?
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:00:56 am »

I found the musicweb review rather positive http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jun/Thirion_sy2_FR1741.htm
As for the sound picture it says 'As with most radio broadcasts of this vintage, a certain pallor envelopes the sound, with some loss of detail on occasion.' IMHO that's asomewhat different then 'terrible sounding'. (Haven't bought the CD myself, yet.)
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 09:03:22 pm »

I found the musicweb review rather positive http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jun/Thirion_sy2_FR1741.htm
As for the sound picture it says 'As with most radio broadcasts of this vintage, a certain pallor envelopes the sound, with some loss of detail on occasion.' IMHO that's asomewhat different then 'terrible sounding'. (Haven't bought the CD myself, yet.)

Have you listened to the (Thirion) performance on YouTube?
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 10:03:35 am »

I refuse to listen to music on YouTube. The content is illegally placed without permission by musicians and the like.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 08:52:16 pm »

I refuse to listen to music on YouTube. The content is illegally placed without permission by musicians and the like.

Some. perhaps.  OTOH, certain distributors (Naxos, for example) post huge numbers of recordings on YouTube themselves.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 03:10:17 am »

Some. perhaps.  OTOH, certain distributors (Naxos, for example) post huge numbers of recordings on YouTube themselves.

And will put a strike against you if they have a problem with you violating copyright. Many of those same distributors and artists can make revenue from the ads on videos posted from their source material as long as the creator doesn't monetize.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: