The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:01:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gotovac: Ero the Joker on cpo

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gotovac: Ero the Joker on cpo  (Read 348 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2020, 07:47:13 am »

A recording of Gotovac's opera Ero the Joker is available on the cpo label https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/jakov-gotovac-ero-der-schelm/hnum/6096029
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 10:10:47 pm »

Very interesting!

My father, back in the 60s, had a number of LPs issued by "World Music", which I think may have been a subscription service. One of these contained, amongst other things, a track labelled "Kolo (round dance) from Ero the Joker" - which I very much enjoyed, and which sparked an interest in the music of the Balkans. So here is the complete opera. Not the first recording, though. When I came to sort through my father's possessions after his death, though, all these LPs had vanished.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 11:55:31 pm »

Listened to the composer conducted 1961 version on YouTube and enjoyed it.  Whilst this apparently most successful Croatian opera does not seem to me to be the equal of Hary Janos, a loose Hungarian counterpart, a first listen has persuaded me to purchase a lossless download version of the CPO release from Chandos as soon as it becomes available. I hope it comes with an English version of the libretto.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »

I hope it comes with an English version of the libretto.

I can confirm, for those who may be interested, the cpo CD comes with an English (and German) translation of the Croatian libretto.  :) :D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: