The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:33:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vasili Kalafati (1869-1942, Russian/Greek) - Symphony; Polonaise; Legenda

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vasili Kalafati (1869-1942, Russian/Greek) - Symphony; Polonaise; Legenda  (Read 382 times)
guest224
« on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:10 pm »

The Athens Philharmonic Orchestra (under Byron Fidetzis) has produced a CD with orchestral pieces by Russian-Greek composer Vasili Kalafati (1869-1942): Symphony in A, Legenda, and Polonaise.  It will be released in August.  I don't know on what label but the CD looks as below.  The cover is entirely in Greek bar the composer's name....

He wrote just one symphony, and Legenda won him a prize at the 1928 International Schubert Competition in Vienna

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest264
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:24:22 pm »

Thanks, I'd really like to get hold of the CD when it is published. Do you know from where it will be available?

I'm guessing the pieces will be in Russian romantic vein as Kalafati was a pupil of Rimsky-Korsakov and they were written while the composer was in Russia? I see the symphony score is on IMSLP.

Robert
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:05:34 am »

I am guessing the same.  My Athens Philharmonic sources tell me that, internationally, it will be on Naxos.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 02:41:15 am »

Hopefully it will be ready in 2021? 
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:41 am »

August 2020 apparently.  The recordings have already been made.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: