The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:53:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Violin Concertos 1 Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Violin Concertos 1 Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra  (Read 166 times)
guest377
« on: February 01, 2020, 11:46:30 pm »

This new CD is on my acquire list.    It is the first of 2 volumes.   Thank you Naxos!!

Myroslav Skoryk, a postgraduate student of Dmitry Kabalevsky, is one of Ukraines leading composers and teachers. His works range from opera and ballet, a symphonic transcription of Paganinis 24 Caprices, and his cycle of nine Violin Concertos written over a 45-year span. They draw on elements of Carpathian folklore and are saturated in expressive dialogues, lyricism and elegy while also exuding powerful intensity. Skoryks sensual writing is frequently contrasted with syncopated motifs, cadenzas, fugal episodes and march rhythms. This is the first of two volumes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082JPTR3Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 02:57:28 am »

Listening to Concertos 1, 2, & 4 on YouTube as I write, searching to articulate a response and something/someone to compare the music to.  No.4 is superior to 1&2 and fairly fits the description Naxos offers, I suppose, though I might say the "powerful intensity" gets a bit tiresome when not enough relieved by anything more relaxed and reflective, - the violin is always playing throughout, and always in the forefront, even monologically so.   The music doesn't breathe sufficiently to my taste, and imparts a rather claustrophobic and chronically tense ethos that (as I say) becomes exhausting.  It does (mostly) hold my attention however.  Still, not a high priority for purchase in my case.  I've noted it for perhaps renewed consideration at some point.     
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: