The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:21:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Esa-Pekka Salonen: Violin Concerto and Nyx on Deutsche Grammophon

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Esa-Pekka Salonen: Violin Concerto and Nyx on Deutsche Grammophon  (Read 262 times)
kyjo
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:01:07 am »

The music of Salonen, better known as a conductor, might be a little on the modern side (it's not avant-garde in any sense, though :)), but it is quite colorful, inventive, and well worth exploring. Deutsche Grammophone will be releasing a CD of Salonen's Violin Concerto "Out of Nowhere" and "Nyx" (probably an orchestral composition) in mid-October. The violinist is Leila Josefowicz, and I am guessing that the orchestra is the LA Philharmonic under the baton of the composer himself ;D.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nigelkeay
Level 2

Times thanked: 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:02:42 pm »

I've heard the Violin Concerto just the one time, in a concert at the Radio France Festival with Leila Josefowicz and the Radio France Phil. I think I'd agree with your description of his music as applied to this work, although using the word modern cautiously in case it was taken to mean too modernist. As you say, it's not avant-garde in any sense, though. The soloist was thoroughly engaged with the work on the physical level, that was for sure, at times seeming to assume a posture more related to martial arts than normally associated with a violin player. Nothing negative intended here, of course.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: