The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 04:17:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Estonian Music

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estonian Music  (Read 17142 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

Atsushi :) :)

The Heino Eller Symphony No.1...... :) :) :)

I had managed to get the 2nd and 3rd from the Estonian Music site but not the First. How wonderful :)  Thank you :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:47:24 am »

Interesting to hear (so thanks to Atsushi), but honestly the Eller Symphonies strike me as rambling and
rather insubstantial works, with not much to recommend them.  Just one thing after another, with no argument or coherence that I can discern.  Hard to go the distance with (though the audience claps forever, - especially after No.3).  Would anyone say otherwise?

My reaction puts me in mind of how I felt after listening to Erland von Koch's Symphonies (from UC, -
two of which have just reappeared here).  Inoffensive, but just not music with any purpose IMO
(though I know one friend here who is an admirer).

Sometimes I have to be negative.
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:04:02 pm »

Hi Colin , Greg ,

You are welcome. Yes, Sym#1 by Eller is not recorded commercially , Sym #2 and #3 also very interesting work.
  What a wonderful concert! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:29:13 pm »

We all have different reactions to the music we hear :)

Sometimes a particular work, which one has wanted to hear for many a long year, does turn out to be a disappointment :(

.....but, if one never actually gets to hear the piece then such a judgment is impossible. So, I welcome with great appreciation, any and all new music on my own personal "wish-list".......which has reduced dramatically over the past year, thanks to the generosity of others :) :)

I am totally confident that Greg is at one with me on that ;D
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »

Oops , I misunderstood comment by Greg.
   But I don't feel disappointment. It's not strange that some member feel different impressions.
   In any case , I'm very happy to record this rare performance ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:32:50 pm »

Can vaguely understand Greg's comment, & of course 'defend to the death' his right to be negative, but I'll just say it's such a pleasure to have the chance to be positive (or negative) about so, so many pieces of music that we'd never have a chance to hear otherwise, that I really don't care if, like today (Thur. 6th), it's taken me well over an hour to download the various offerings, & I may well discover a few that don't resonate with me personally.
Part of the fun is sorting the 'gems' from the slightly less precious, so keep 'bringing 'em on' !     Many, many thanks to all uploaders.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest128
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:56:46 pm »

We all have different reactions to the music we hear :)

Sometimes a particular work, which one has wanted to hear for many a long year, does turn out to be a disappointment :(

.....but, if one never actually gets to hear the piece then such a judgment is impossible. So, I welcome with great appreciation, any and all new music on my own personal "wish-list".......which has reduced dramatically over the past year, thanks to the generosity of others :) :)

I am totally confident that Greg is at one with me on that ;D

Very much so.  Unrequited curiosity can leave a void that becomes numbing or even painful if it goes on too long, -
thus discovering the Eller Symphonies was a most fulfilling (eye opening) and in that respect satisfying experience, despite my disappointment :o.  Better if I would have loved them, of course, - but they take their place in the landscape now, which becomes more vivid and detailed as a result, and my orientation more seasoned and aware. 

Atsushi remains among my very favorite posters, - a man bearing gifts here (and at UC) with only the fewest of rivals.

Report Spam   Logged
Malito
Level 2

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:21 am »

Sometimes the music does not measure up to what we expect or like but how wonderful to be able to hear it at all.  I was really excited to hear the Eller works.  I liked the 1st symphony most of all but Eller's music has never really "wowed" me.  Still it is good to have and when a music lover comes for a visit, it is nice to pull out pieces they've never heard of much less heard.  I have friends in the Tuscon orchestra who cannot even begin to believe some of the music I have and thanks to US and now this new site, I am the owner of an enviable collection that only a few of us world wide can say we own. Malito
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:02 am »

If one has questions about another member's personality or actions, may I suggest that the nice availability of PMs be used to work them out? Thank you.

I've known Atsushi both here and on another forum for some time, and my honestly expressed posts were not the least bit derogatory towards him, but on the contrary, only affectionate.  (Perhaps you could have PM'd me with your concerns).

In any case, I'll use a few smileys in the future to help you better gauge my intent.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 01:03:05 am »

I get accused sometimes of an excess of enthusiasm to get hold of as much 20th century, mainly orchestral and tonal, music as I can get my hands on ;D ;D

And, yes, sometimes I find a piece disappointing but I always welcome the opportunity to hear it...at last :)

And I therefore am very grateful to Atsushi for all his uploads (as I know Greg is too :)).

And-just for the record- music I dislike ??? ???  The Mozart Piano Concertos, anything written by Rachmaninov after 1900(with the exceptions of "The Isle of the Dead" and "The Bells"), almost anything by Delius, Mahler's Symphony No.7, later Lutoslawski, late Stravinsky and late Tippett.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 02:33:28 am »

I enjoy most classical music I hear, I'd say roughly 80% of it. The only types of music I really have a dislike for are Mideval, Renaissance, some Baroque music played on period instruments, and avant-garde modern music. I like most music of the classical era (especially late), most early-mid romantic music, but my favorite time period of all is late-romantic to early modern. There is extremely little music written in the last years of the 19th century and the first few decades of the 20th that I dislike. Hmm...Intersting to hear your dislikes, Colin! Re the Mozart Piano Concertos, I listen to them when I need something soothing and elegant to listen to, and I like them quite well, though they're not amongst my favorites. But I don't understand how you couldn't like Rach's Symphony 2, PC 3, or Paganini Rhapsody (all written after 1900). Rachmaninov is my absolute favorite composer and I love nearly everything that flowed from his pen (well, maybe except his a cappella choral works). Yes, Delius can be a little static at times, but it is great music if a wallow is what you're looking for. I'm greatly surprised you don't like Mahler 7! Yes, I know it's one of the weakest of his symphonies, but the mysterious "night music" of the 2nd and 3rd movements, the guitar and mandolin in the 4th, and the naive joy of the finale always bring a smile to my face. I can see why you don't like late Stravinsky and late Tippett; I don't either (late Stravinsky is terribly dry). Lutoslawski's Symphony no. 4, a late piece, is very colorful and interesting. Please give it a few listens ;D! Apologies for these late-night ramblings and for further directing this thread off its original course :-[!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:57:54 am »

We ARE now well off-course ;D

To an extent I was being deliberately provocative ;D  I can perfectly well sit through a Mozart Piano Concerto and I should try harder with Lutoslawski.

But, as for Rachmaninov and Delius ::) No, I am sorry, I simply cannot abide the former's wallowing in nostalgic romanticism and I loathe the Second Symphony AND the Second Piano Concerto. Delius simply bores me to tears; all this lying around in summer gardens or drifting slowly down a river.........I keep on wanting to shout "get on with it". "Brigg Fair" is ok, I suppose....but that's about it.

As for Mahler ???  I am a Brucknerian and I dislike intensely the current obsession with Mahler's music. He is the most over-recorded composer around at the present time. Mahler's First and Second are among my favourite works of all time (the absolutely heavenly closing 15 minutes of the 2nd reduces me to tears everytime I listen to it) but the later symphonies are harder-going for me. I can appreciate their greatness.....but give me the Bruckner 7th, 8th and 9th above them any time ;D

Anyway.......I fear this has drifted far too far from the subject of the thread and that is something I always deplore :)
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 04:33:07 am »

Nothing wrong with sincere opinions. ;)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »

We ARE now well off-course ;D

To an extent I was being deliberately provocative ;D  I can perfectly well sit through a Mozart Piano Concerto and I should try harder with Lutoslawski.

But, as for Rachmaninov and Delius ::) No, I am sorry, I simply cannot abide the former's wallowing in nostalgic romanticism and I loathe the Second Symphony AND the Second Piano Concerto. Delius simply bores me to tears; all this lying around in summer gardens or drifting slowly down a river.........I keep on wanting to shout "get on with it". "Brigg Fair" is ok, I suppose....but that's about it.

As for Mahler ???  I am a Brucknerian and I dislike intensely the current obsession with Mahler's music. He is the most over-recorded composer around at the present time. Mahler's First and Second are among my favourite works of all time (the absolutely heavenly closing 15 minutes of the 2nd reduces me to tears everytime I listen to it) but the later symphonies are harder-going for me. I can appreciate their greatness.....but give me the Bruckner 7th, 8th and 9th above them any time ;D

Anyway.......I fear this has drifted far too far from the subject of the thread and that is something I always deplore :)
It certainly has Dundonnell :o.........by all means,carry on! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 05:41:32 am »

Agreed on Rachmaninov... His work just doesn't do anything for me and I'm flabbergasted at how much pianists will blather on about this or that interpretation of his pieces. I'm far more interested in Scriabin, Prokofiev, Feinberg, or almost any other contemporary from that period.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: