The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:28:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Estonian Music

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estonian Music  (Read 17152 times)
guest377
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:13 am »

You are welcome !!  btw my wife is Polish !!     
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 04:50:53 pm »

Here is the link to ERP:   (Estonia Record Productions)

http://www.erpmusic.com/
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:46 am »

Re:  Tamberg... there are a couple of new CDs worthly of acquiring if you are a fan of Tamberg

BIS  CD 1677  Tamberg: Joanna Tentata ballet suite with Symphonic Dances

and

Vanemuise Sumfooniaorkester  Tamberg Violin Concerto Op 64 and Ballet-Symphony Op 10
this CD may be hard to find as it was financed by the Cultural Endowment of Estonia..released 2010

http://www.balticshop.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?item=31268&cat=0533&title=Estonian_Classical_Music
Report Spam   Logged
Black
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:32 am »

Mr. Hibbard, could you please provide a link to the Symphony by Villem Reimann?
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:19 pm »

sorry... I will upload this symphony within the next 24 hours.. technical issues.  Thanks for your interest.

Interesting that a large amount of the Soviet era Estonian Symphonic music has been either re-recorded or the old tapes have been reremastered and are available now on CD.  (Chandos, Antes, ERP, etc)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2014, 07:27:28 pm »

the Reimann Symphony No 1 link is posted on the Estonian Downloads section.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »

I find Els Aarne's sym #2 hard to listen to.... the ending is similar to the Beatles A Day in a Life..... give it a try..
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2014, 09:46:00 am »

Reimann very much a novelty for me; much appreciated, as all your excellent uploads !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest377
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:10 pm »

Reimann very much a novelty for me; much appreciated, as all your excellent uploads !

Clive.. yes his works are interesting.... somewhat Glazunovian in a way....
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:18 am »

Many thanks to Christopher (and Mike Hopf) for sharing Evald Aav's Symphony in D Minor!

There is a little story behind which makes me even more glad to get this recording. I had long been aware there seemed to be a recording of this symphony circulating among rarity collectors, and I had hoped to get a copy myself when two or three years ago, I finally got a recording of what was supposed to be the Evald Aav symphony, though the first three movements only. I listened to the piece and was somehow irritated because it didn't correspond to what I had actually expected, but then I just put it aside. A bit later, I came back to the recording and after analyzing things more in detail and thinking a little about it, I came to the conclusion that the piece I had could never be Evald Aav's symphony in fact because it was significantly too modern. (My guess is that it could be an Estonian symphony after all but rather from the 1960s - but I couldn't identify it so far.) From that point on, I was actually quite in doubt whether a recording of this symphony really existed or whether it was all nothing but a misunderstanding.

And now here is your upload! I have of course already tracked it down and listened to it and there can be no doubt that the piece you shared is Aav's symphony indeed! Great to get it after all!

Maybe a few comments on the music itself. What I was expecting (with Aav's Tone Poem "Life" in mind) was something national romantic. Indeed, I would say this symphony is built up on such a basis, but it also goes somewhat further. There is a certain rough, maybe even archaic and also nordic (Scandinavian music comes to my mind) tone in this piece which makes it a very pleasant listen. For sure, there are folk music influences, but they are incorporated in a tougher way than I would have expected: many parallel (and also bare) fifths, some ostinati, heavy brass climaxes and so on. The finale is surprisingly dark and makes the whole symphony's overall mood notably somber in a way. At the same time, I must admit the finale is the movement which convinced me least at first listen, but in any case, this is quite an interesting symphony which deserves to be heard and played. It's a pity it's such a rarity!

By the way, regarding the Aarne piano concerto (which I had in my collection myself), my info is that this is the first movement only, though alas, there is no strong evidence since the Estonian MIC doesn't give much information on this work.

Anyway, thanks again for your uploads.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2014, 01:18:11 pm »

Yes, many thanks for this work which I have been searching for more than 20 years!

I had hoped to get a copy myself when two or three years ago, I finally got a recording of what was supposed to be the Evald Aav symphony, though the first three movements only. I listened to the piece and was somehow irritated because it didn't correspond to what I had actually expected, but then I just put it aside. A bit later, I came back to the recording and after analyzing things more in detail and thinking a little about it, I came to the conclusion that the piece I had could never be Evald Aav's symphony in fact because it was significantly too modern. (My guess is that it could be an Estonian symphony after all but rather from the 1960s - but I couldn't identify it so far.)

Wasn't it one of Els Aarne's symphonies? (Same initials :) )
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »

Yes, many thanks for this work which I have been searching for more than 20 years!

I had hoped to get a copy myself when two or three years ago, I finally got a recording of what was supposed to be the Evald Aav symphony, though the first three movements only. I listened to the piece and was somehow irritated because it didn't correspond to what I had actually expected, but then I just put it aside. A bit later, I came back to the recording and after analyzing things more in detail and thinking a little about it, I came to the conclusion that the piece I had could never be Evald Aav's symphony in fact because it was significantly too modern. (My guess is that it could be an Estonian symphony after all but rather from the 1960s - but I couldn't identify it so far.)

No, I know both of them and these are different pieces. In fact, I have quite a bunch of Estonian symphonies and checked them all but the work in question is not among them. However, who knows, maybe chance will help also in this case one day...
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2014, 11:11:10 am »

Have you tried asking Vardo Rumessen? He might be able to identify it (if it is indeed Estonian, that is!).

No, I know both of them and these are different pieces. In fact, I have quite a bunch of Estonian symphonies and checked them all but the work in question is not among them. However, who knows, maybe chance will help also in this case one day...
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2014, 05:30:04 pm »

In fact, I have quite a bunch of Estonian symphonies and checked them all ...

Holger - what is in this bunch of Estonian symphonies?  We are curious!!)))
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:13 pm »

Have you tried asking Vardo Rumessen? He might be able to identify it (if it is indeed Estonian, that is!).
I didn't even have the idea to ask him, but if you think he might be able to help it will certainly be worth a try. I see he seems to have an e-mail address on his personal homepage so I will write him a mail in the next days. In fact, I have also asked myself whether the symphony is question is from Estonia after all but I would say it is at least possible in the sense that I have no problems with thinking of the work as an Estonian symphony. For instance, in the third movement there are some folklore allusions which seem to fit well into the Estonian context in my view. In general, the symphony shows Shostakovich's influence (especially in terms of rhythms) within a musical language which is somehow at the borderline between free tonality and atonality.

Holger - what is in this bunch of Estonian symphonies?  We are curious!!)))
This is quite a mixture but a good deal comes from the Estonian mp3 site which I referred to quite some times in the past (muusika24 - quite a good resource), though I also have some which come from other sources like LPs and I will check whether there is something uploadable among them. If you are searching for something particular just write me a line!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: