The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:28:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Estonian Music

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estonian Music  (Read 17080 times)
guest377
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 02:41:55 am »

Ah... I see Auster's ballet Tiina  here:

http://muusika24.ee/Muusika/album/ballett-Tiina

Dave
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 07:09:09 am »

Interesting to hear (so thanks to Atsushi), but honestly the Eller Symphonies strike me as rambling and
rather insubstantial works, with not much to recommend them.  Just one thing after another, with no argument or coherence that I can discern.  Hard to go the distance with (though the audience claps forever, - especially after No.3).  Would anyone say otherwise?

My reaction puts me in mind of how I felt after listening to Erland von Koch's Symphonies (from UC, -
two of which have just reappeared here).  Inoffensive, but just not music with any purpose IMO
(though I know one friend here who is an admirer).

Sometimes I have to be negative.
Greg, I totally agree with your perception of Ellers Symphonies...alll dressed up with no place to go.
Fine orchestration, but the themes sounded fabricated and empty.
But we are polar opposites when it come to van Koch's symphonies, and his music in general.
The audio quality may have been a factor. I would give his music very high marks, esp Symphony 2.

Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:06 am »

I would certainly love to hear good quality recordings of von Koch - if there were any ... He seems to me to most unjustly neglected.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 09:25:55 am »

http://muusika24.ee/Muusika/artist/Jaan-Koha/soundAuthor
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard1
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 04:09:29 am »

Eller's Sym No 1

Eller's Dawn

Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard1
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 04:58:54 am »

see my entries on Tubin and Lemba under Estonian composers.

Dave
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 06:12:36 am »

I would certainly love to hear good quality recordings of von Koch - if there were any ... He seems to me to most unjustly neglected.

who is von Koch? is he Estonian??  this is the Estonian music section.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:35 am »

who is von Koch? is he Estonian??  this is the Estonian music section.

Erland von Koch (1910-2009) was a Swedish composer.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2013, 05:13:26 am »

Enjoy the downloads... !!      I see some of these have been downloaded 35-40 times.  wow.

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »

FAR too often I download music from this forum, copy it to an external hard drive, catalogue it and-perhaps-give it a brief listen to ensure I would want to retain it(the answer is "yes" 99.9% of the time ;D)......but then find I have no time to listen properly: I have a backlog of music to listen to me which will take a lifetime I do not have :(

......BUT I AM listening to Kreek's Estonian Requiem. What a beautiful piece :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 04:57:18 am »

FAR too often I download music from this forum, copy it to an external hard drive, catalogue it and-perhaps-give it a brief listen to ensure I would want to retain it(the answer is "yes" 99.9% of the time ;D)......but then find I have no time to listen properly: I have a backlog of music to listen to me which will take a lifetime I do not have :(

......BUT I AM listening to Kreek's Estonian Requiem. What a beautiful piece :) :)

yes  also give a listen to the live recording of the Estonian Song Festival lots of cheering and such....in 1969 in Tallinn.
Dave
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »

Jan Kokha
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra Op 6
Heljo Sepp, piano
Neeme Jarvi, conducting
Estonian Radio Sym Orchestra

Melodiya LP

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mlauwuhduo00w2d/Kokha_Piano_Concerto_Op_6.mp3

Do you have any information at all about this compoaer? Dates etc?  He doesn't appear on internet searches...or is it Jaan Koha (199-1993)?
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2013, 03:03:57 pm »

Villem Reiman

Vilsandi, Suite

ERSO

S.  Prokhorov, conductor

Melodiya

http://www.mediafire.com/download/w8nsq32r5wj84xv/Reiman_Vilsandi_Suite.mp3

Do you have any further information on this composer?  He doesn't appear on internet searches...
Report Spam   Logged
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »

Jan Kokha
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra Op 6
Heljo Sepp, piano
Neeme Jarvi, conducting
Estonian Radio Sym Orchestra

Melodiya LP

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mlauwuhduo00w2d/Kokha_Piano_Concerto_Op_6.mp3

Do you have any information at all about this compoaer? Dates etc?  He doesn't appear on internet searches...or is it Jaan Koha (199-1993)?

It is Jaan Koha. The Russians don't have a proper letter for 'H', so they use the 'KH' letter in its place. A short bio can be found at:
http://www.emic.ee/jaan-koha

As for Villem Reimann, take a look at:
http://www.emic.ee/villem-reimann

There's links to a bio and works list below the pictures. Make sure to change the language option to English.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 02:24:15 am »

OK here is Kokha  or Koha .  the spelling on the record is Jann Kokha   but I see on EMIC its Koha.

Here is  Reimann:

Villem Reimann

March 19, 1906 Pärnu – April 8, 1992 Tallinn
Member of the Estonian Composers' Union since 1944

Villem Reimann was a composer and a pedagogue. His acquaintance with music began with studying harmonica and concertina. He graduated from gymnasium in Pärnu and studied piano in Tallinn Conservatory from 1925 to 1927 with Margarethe Finck. Reimann worked as a pianist in cafe and restaurant ensembles and in cinemas. He graduated from Tallinn Conservatory in composition with Artur Kapp in 1933 and in piano with Artur Lemba in 1936. In 1937–1938 he complemented his studies in Budapest at Franz Liszt Academy of Music in composition with Zoltán Kodály, chamber music with Leo Wiener and conducting with Ernő Unger. Reimann was the music consultant in Studio of Cinemas in 1940–1941 and teacher of music theory subjects and chamber music in Estonian Academy of Music from 1942–1992.

Majority of his work consists of chamber and film music. His early works can be described as romantic and simplistic (suite Vilsandi), later works show more the modern side including twelve-tone technique (Concerto for Violin and Chamber Orchestra). His vocal music, especially choral works inherit a colorful harmony and creative images.

Reimann has received an honorary title of the Estonian SSR Honoured Worker in Arts (1955), the SSR State Prize (1951) and Soviet Estonia Award (1949).

© EMIC 2010

The texts on the EMIC's homepage are protected by the copyright law. They can be used for non-commercial purposes referring to the author (when specified) and source (Estonian Music Information Centre).
EMIC Music Shop
A Treasury of Estonian Music
Estonian Music
Mixed Choir Noorus 50
Pärt Uusberg's choral music
See more CD-s and books
Kõrvits, Tõnu
Kreek’s Notebook, for mixed choir and string orchestra
Tally, Mirjam
Different Rains, for piano
Grigorjeva, Galina
In Paradisum, for mixed choir