The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:39:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Estonian Music

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estonian Music  (Read 17166 times)
guest377
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 04:42:48 am »

As a member of the Tubin Society, all or most of all his works are available on CD now.  I am one of the founders of the Tubin Society, with the goal of making his works available thru concerts, recordings and the printing of his works.   Raid actually is Canadian.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 04:46:24 am »

After a little break, I'll start downloading my Estonian Music collection...I have a rich collection, including the collection from Radio Estonia.
Dave

Please do, some obscure works by Mägi,Raid,Tobias,Tamberg,Raats and Tubin would be good..

I have a couple of LPs of Magi... her works are also on the Antes Label  (see Ebay or Amazon) Tamberg's works also are on CD now.. however, I did pick up an rare LP of his Oratorio works in a shop in Riga...   Raats.... uggh... never cared for his symphonies... see classical-music-online.net.. most of them are there....  maybe this weekend I'll get a couple uploaded.... 
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 11:42:16 pm »

After a little break, I'll start downloading my Estonian Music collection...I have a rich collection, including the collection from Radio Estonia.
Dave

Please do, some obscure works by Mägi,Raid,Tobias,Tamberg,Raats and Tubin would be good..

I have a couple of LPs of Magi... her works are also on the Antes Label  (see Ebay or Amazon) Tamberg's works also are on CD now.. however, I did pick up an rare LP of his Oratorio works in a shop in Riga...   Raats.... uggh... never cared for his symphonies... see classical-music-online.net.. most of them are there....  maybe this weekend I'll get a couple uploaded.... 

I seem to remember what little I have heard of Raats was positive, I think they were from the site you mentioned...I  need to listen again..,
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2013, 01:36:13 am »

Dave

I seem to remember what little I have heard of Raats was positive, I think they were from the site you mentioned...I  need to listen again..,

he is somewhat serial style of music... dissonance..etc.... sounds like traffic on the expressway ....
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:43 am »

Raats? Serialist? Not the pieces I know. What he is, is a mechanicist. I was long acquainted with his music solely on the strength of an old LP with the 3rd and 6th symphonies and the violin concerto, and in those pre-internet days could find out nothing more about him. The latter piece in particular has little melodic fragments that go round and round like some Heath Robinson toy.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 02:09:08 am »

HA   I agree....... could not find a spec of melody either..... in the old Soviet Union days... the Gov;t would pay you for your music you wrote..
it all went to the State.. so lots of composers wrote trash just to get a pay check
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 03:37:54 am »

Re Raats - went back and listened to some things..not to disparage Phillip Glass, but was reminded of his music to some degree.
 that is, Glass w/o any inspiration.
No need to dwell on this music..it all sounds the same.."mechanical" and "contrived" is a proper description.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:12 am »

i think his 24 preludes for pf is on classical-music-online.net  and also on the Antes label from Germany.   

Dave
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 03:48:06 am »

Can't really say I care much for Raats' music either. What I've heard of his output is pretty mechanistic and dissonant, far from the majestic, dark masterpieces of Tubin. While Tubin's music breathes the pure, bracing air of Nordic forests, Raats' music is rather evocative of a noisy factory (complete opposites!). If anyone knows of any particular works by Raats that are worth listening to, I shall try to investigate (if I haven't already), but I can't say I'm particularly motivated to explore more of his output :(
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:58 am »

While Tubin's music breathes the pure, bracing air of Nordic forests, Raats' music is rather evocative of a noisy factory (complete opposites!).

That is actually its interest. For those who can find interest and even beauty in the industrial and mechanical, Raats's music will strike a chord. That may be a minority.
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 09:55:25 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/puf7d7xep3q9gwd/01_Koha_Sym_No_1_1.wma    (Energico)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/1k9zz1g9ze28aqq/02_Koha_Sym_No_1_2.wma    (Allegretto legiere)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/l0u0ohi4n9loiuv/03_Koha_Sym_No_1_3.wma   (Andante)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/tjitagbbvtltxa6/04_Koha_Sym_No_1-4.wma    (Allegro molto)

Jaan Koha  (Kokha)

Symphony No 1 Op 11
Estonian Radio Symphony Orchestra  (ERSO  now known as the ENSO abbreviated still as ERSO)
Roman Matsov, conductor

recorded 1962

from original master tapes at ER, Tallinn Estonia

hopefully.. you can download these wma.. which is windows media

Many thanks for this upload! For those interested, the "R" in "ERSO" now stands for "Riiklik" (State).
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:51 pm »

I'll convert these to mp3.   Also picked up "Estonian Orchestral Music 1896-2004 Catalogue of selected works" in Tallinn   Its a 2CD set with a catalog of the complete works of every Estonian composer that lived in that time period.   Published by EMIC in  2005.
Report Spam   Logged
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2013, 02:10:19 am »

I downloaded the Koha files but cannot play them or convert them to another format. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
guest264
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:43 pm »

Thanks very much for the Koha Symphony No. 1. I like his musical style very much. The second movement reminds me
of Bartok Concerto for Orchestra. The files are protected with DRM but I could play them on my windows laptop by
accepting a license agreement.

A couple of other works are available at
http://muusika24.ee/

Piano Concerto No. 2, Overture and Ballet "The Department Store"

Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 01:18:08 am »

I didn't see any Koha on that website... do you have a link?

Dave
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: