The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:36:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Estonian Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Estonian Music  (Read 17134 times)
Caostotale
Level 2

Times thanked: 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:09 am »

I've yet to listen to the symphonic works, but I'm really impressed with the slew of Eller piano works I've been exposed to in recent years. Toccata Classics is in the process of putting out the first complete edition of those works, a project that will require seven volumes. I've also heard some extremely old recordings of a few of his string quartets, and those are nice pieces as well.

I would argue that, alongside his fellow Baltic composer Vytautas Bacevicius (from Lithuania), Eller is amongst the most fruitful composers worth investigating in that region, not least because it's important to see that there were actually great composers writing great music before the onslaught of holy minimalism redefined the world's understanding of Baltic music. I can't help but feel something shallow in people's eager willingness to act culturally paternal and gush over all that new age music by Vasks, Part, Gorecki, as if it's a musical balm that's washing away the horrors of communism and reintroducing a proper spiritualism to the lives of those poor second-worlders...or maybe I'm just being a jerk  ???  A good start might be a de-emphasizing of Eller's occupation as 'the guy who taught Part.'
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: