The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:25:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ruth Gipps on the BBC

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth Gipps on the BBC  (Read 3336 times)
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »

Members will be interested to hear that BBC Radio 3 is to broadcast Ruth Gipps' Symphony no 3 next Wednesday 4th December as part of a concert from Salford.  The concert runs from 14:00 to 15:30 local time and the symphony is the last work.   There is no commercial recording of the symphony, though we do have a recording in our Archive.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bxgl
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 02:29:34 am »

Many thanks for this notice. Please could a member upload a good quality recording following the broadcast and I will add it to the archive...

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest251
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 09:00:03 am »

There is no commercial recording of the symphony, though we do have a recording in our Archive.

Fingers tightly crossed this means a Chandos recording is in the offing for 2020!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:01:21 pm »

Many thanks for this notice. Please could a member upload a good quality recording following the broadcast and I will add it to the archive...

I really enjoyed this compact work, which got an excellent performance. A good quality mp3 upload in lieu of a commercial recording (it may be that Chandos will oblige - coupled with the 5th?) would be very welcome. Many thanks.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
djarvie
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:01:38 pm »

I recorded the work and have uploaded the mp3 files to the download section:
http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,506.195.html

There was a very low-pitched rumble (as I often find with BBC broadcasts on my computer).  I've removed as much of this as possible without spoiling the rest of the audio.

As this is the first time I have ever used Mediafile, I should be grateful for feedback on whether the upload has worked properly.

David
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:22:25 pm »

Hi David, the recordings are absolutely spot-on and a great listen, many thanks! I have uploaded spare copies to the archive and will amend the catalogue in due course.

Report Spam   Logged

jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:10:45 pm »

Many thanks for making this available - Symphony 3 is a favourite, and the recording is fine to my ears.
Any chance that Symphony 1 will be performed/recorded any time soon? Chandos perhaps, as a coupling for No.3?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: