The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:18:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Complete Piano Works Toivo Kuula

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete Piano Works Toivo Kuula  (Read 986 times)
guest377
« on: October 02, 2019, 06:07:04 am »

Interesting Finnish composer release yet again.   

As a whole these 20 pieces portray a versatile palette of different stages of Kuula’s life, from teenage sketches (Air varié) to impressionistic moods from Paris (Fairytale Picture no 2). In general, the music is mostly lyrical but often suggesting the wild and rugged aspects of the Finnish landscape. 80 minutes to boot! Janne Oksanen (piano).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W47FXJJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

http://recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=10V041

by the way.. its been awfully quiet here as of lately.....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jonah
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 12:06:35 pm »

Kuula's piano music is interesting and pleasant on the ear, without any pretensions.  Before I knew of the various recordings, I had for some time enjoyed playing the Lamb Polska (otherwise Mutton Dance!) without knowing anything about Kuula.

There are now three competing versions of the complete piano music:
Janne Oksanen on Alba ABCS445
Adam Johnson on Grand Piano GP780
Jouni Somero on FC Records FCRCD9758

Oksanen and Johnson's listings are identical, but Somero has an extra piece - an arrangement of a movement (5) from the orchestral South Ostrobothnian Suite no.1, op9.

I have only heard the Johnson in its entirety, so cannot comment on the other two - perhaps someone here has and would like to offer a comparative view?
Report Spam   Logged
San Antone
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 04:00:51 am »

I recently discovered Toivo Kuula's music, by way of listening to recordings involving Oliver Triendl.  He has recorded, along with Nina Karmon, the violin sonatas. 

I enjoyed this recording very much and will no doubt be listening to more of Kuula's music.  The news of new recordings of his solo piano music would be a good place to start, since that genre is one of my favorites.

8)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 05:05:15 am »

Yes   thank you for your note.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: