The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:17:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Alexander Campbell Mackenzie - Complete Piano Music on 3 CDs (Sheva Collection)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexander Campbell Mackenzie - Complete Piano Music on 3 CDs (Sheva Collection)  (Read 1358 times)
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:42:51 pm »

Apparently to be released soon by this Italian label.

See: http://www.shevacollection.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid=86

&

http://www.shevacollection.co.uk/

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Chriskh
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:28 pm »

The first two volumes should be available directly from Sheva. They have been improving their act re distributors in the UK and elsewhere and an "official" release through distributors should be imminent. By the way, Sheva is now, at least technically, a British label - it transferred its registered offices to London about a year ago.

As the pianist thereof, I hope the project will be as rewarding to hear as it was to do. There are pieces here equal to anything by British composers of the time.
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:50:59 pm »

The first two volumes should be available directly from Sheva. They have been improving their act re distributors in the UK and elsewhere and an "official" release through distributors should be imminent. By the way, Sheva is now, at least technically, a British label - it transferred its registered offices to London about a year ago.

As the pianist thereof, I hope the project will be as rewarding to hear as it was to do. There are pieces here equal to anything by British composers of the time.

Thanks for this information.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:40:30 pm »

This is very good news and I await its availability eagerly, but I wish the publicity would tell us what pieces are on each volume. I find the absence of this information rather annoying.
Report Spam   Logged
Chriskh
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 06:59:31 am »

Vol. 1 has opp. 20 (6 Compositions), 15 (3 Morceaux), 84 (Jottings) and 81 (English Air with Variations)
Vol, 2 has opp. 9 (Rustic Scenes), 13 (5 pieces), 83 Odds and Ends), 70 (Fantasia) + the early, unpublished Sehnsucht and Ungarisch
Vol. 3 has opp. 23 (Scenes in the Scottish Highlands) and 88 (Varying Moods) + Morris Dance, the early unpublished Variations in Em and Nocturne in A and the 6 Song Transcriptions by Buonamici
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 08:27:41 am »

Thank you very much.
Report Spam   Logged
jonah
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:36:37 pm »

Great news indeed!
I have long treasured Murray McLachlan's Divine Art CD (25003) entitled 'The Scottish Romantics', with solo piano works by Mackenzie (all pieces there are included in the new recordings), MacCunn and McEwen.
It is good to have, at last, the chance to hear the rest of Mackenzie's piano compositions, almost all of which are likely to be unknown to most of us.
I just hope that the 'within the next few months' quote on Sheva's website is accurate, unlike some companies we can think of!
Report Spam   Logged
Chriskh
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 10:18:35 am »

I've spoken to the Sheva Collection owner. Sheva discs are now distributed by Naxos. They've been going slowly over the summer period but the rhythm is about to increase and first Mackenzie should be available by the end of September.

If you're impatient, the first two volumes are available directly from Sheva here http://www.shevacollection.co.uk/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=1 and also downloads of the booklets. This part of the operation still runs from Italy, so you'd have to factor in the unreliable postal service, probably better to wait unless you live in Italy or a neighbouring country.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 02:43:40 am »

Really strange how postal services vary. Portugal and France are awful: I've had things take two months from Portugal to the UK and three weeks from France to Japan. UK to Japan is incredibly good: four or five days without fail, never lost a thing in almost two decades. Anyway, I digress a lot!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: