The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:14:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Giya Alexandrovich Kancheli (1935-2019)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giya Alexandrovich Kancheli (1935-2019)  (Read 806 times)
guest377
« on: October 05, 2019, 03:43:23 am »

Giya Alexandrovich Kancheli (1935-2019)

by David Smith
Giya KancheliThe Georgian composer Giya Kancheli has died at the age of 84 in his home city of Tbilisi. One of the most recognised and acclaimed classical voices from his home country, he belonged to a generation of Soviet-born composers who lived through, and were influenced by, the tumultuous dissolution of the USSR and independence of many of its constituent republics.

Kancheli’s earlier works explore a modernist, often dissonant style that led to friction with the cultural authorities of the time (though often seeming to retain more of an affection for consonant, melodic elements than some of his contemporaries, even in early works such as his wind quintet from the 1960s). Much of his music was composed for the cinema, often seen by adventurous Soviet composers as an area where censorship was less rigorously imposed and new ideas could be explored more freely; over five decades of film soundtracks, from drama to comedy to the offbeat science fiction adventure Kin-dza-dza, attest to his gift in matching music to screenplay time and again against a fast-changing cultural backdrop.

His later compositions increasingly embrace what might be called the New Tonality, with a stronger element of “traditional”, accessible harmony, though always coloured by his national heritage – after fleeing the chaos of post-independence Georgia in 1991, Kancheli came to express themes of exile and loss, both personal and national, in his music. Works such as Styx and With a Smile for Slava pay tribute to deceased fellow Soviet composers Avet Terterian and Alfred Schnittke, and giant of the cello Mstislav Rostropovich, while À la Duduki evokes the piercing reed sounds of the Caucasian duduk in a slow-burning but intense meditation on the tribulations of his homeland.

Kancheli was also a gifted miniaturist, writing small-scale gems for violin and piano as well as for piano solo and for voice; his Kviteli Potlebi (Yellow Leaves), an understatedly sentimental three-minute vocal piece, is surely one of his most widely-known and enduringly popular compositions, with a simplicity and directness that few can match.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 02:55:15 pm »

I am surprised that no one saw this before me.... I am usually the last person to read this.... my music magazines I used to get have long expired.
Report Spam   Logged
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:14:07 pm »

Sad news. I haven't listened to Kanchelli for a while. Liked the symphonies, no 4 a particular favourite, but found it hard to get to grips with some of his later work.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: