The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:24:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vitezslav Novák's Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitezslav Novák's Symphonies  (Read 906 times)
guest128
« on: August 02, 2019, 07:56:58 am »

Here's a less rhetorical statement of the simple point I was making, Colin, - though not nearly as much fun to write.  Novak's Symphonies just aren't very good music, - both in my evaluation and yours.  Thus, no matter the fact that much music of similarly questionable quality may have been recently recorded and issued on CD, it's not "astonishing" and "extraordinary" that these pieces in Novak's output haven't so far themselves found such favour, as it might be if they were masterworks.  No more than just "curious" is what I myself would say.

Of course, Cesar may think better of the music than we do, and in so doing I don't disdain his wish to hear these pieces in superior performance and sound than what we currently have.  But many listeners make often strained efforts to claim merits for some music it plainly does not have, - that is, their collector's enthusiasm induces in them an overvaluation of too much of what they possess or desire, - Novak "in all his glories" as Cesar anticipates things in this case.

I was only responding to excesses in the application of certain words (as I read them) with some debunking excess of my own.  I know this always grates at you, but my persona and style are just different than yours (even when we judge music quite similarly).  Yes, it's all for the good whatever music enterprising recording issuers allow us to hear and consider, - that wasn't what I was objecting to.  Apologies that I gave so much offense with criticism not intended as a personal attack (so often assumed here).   

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: