The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Vitezslav Novák's Symphonies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitezslav Novák's Symphonies  (Read 908 times)
guest128
« on: July 31, 2019, 08:45:03 pm »

I entirely agree that the absence of the two Novak symphonies from the cd repertoire is quite astonishing. It is extraordinary that no record company has taken them up or shows any inclination to do so. Sad!

For completist enthusiasts the absence of anything at all from the CD repertoire is astonishing and deplorable, - but for those able to discriminate in some measure, certain absences become understandable and less offensive.  While the existing dubs of Novak's Symphonies may be less than ideal, they present the music well enough for anyone to recognize these are rather mediocre and unmemorable works not especially worthy of advocacy and revival, - a judgment Colin himself came close to affirming some years ago after me urging him to re-engage with the music in critical fashion.  Again and again I've concluded the same, - that whereas occasional sections of each piece do have a certain incidental appeal, overall the music is simply undistinctive and lacking in focus and integration.  It wears out its welcome and is just not top drawer Novak, the quality of whose output varies quite considerably.  While no one would object to some adventurous commercial recording entity espousing these works on behalf of the curious minded and those insistent on hearing everything, I'm convinced were that to happen any initial enthusiasm would dissipate quickly, and the recordings (however archivally satisfying) become largely unplayed.  Sometimes the rationality of relative indifference by both recording companies and listeners alike ought to just frankly be acknowledged.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: