The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:38:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

SOME unrecorded British Piano Concertos, 1934-94

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOME unrecorded British Piano Concertos, 1934-94  (Read 5857 times)
relm1
Level 4

Times thanked: 23

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 01:14:23 am »

The problem with the concept is that while Aho is probably Finland's most prominent living composer and certainly the most recorded Bourgeois had been virtually ignored since his first half dozen or so symphonies. The idea of a whole concert of hia music was perhaps a bit unrealistic.

......but clearly neglect did not deter Bourgeois- which was entirely admirable of course.

I don't think Public Relations skills should be a requirement for a composer's music being worthy of being easily available (or it shouldn't be).  Bourgeois' day will come like Havergal Brian, Rued Langgaard, and others whose verbose talent patiently lied in wait.  I do wonder if Derek would be more popular had he died in 2003 when he had 15 epic symphonies?  Should Mahler be less regarded given his 10 symphonies if he lived another 10 years and wrote 5 more symphonies?  What if Shostakovich wrote 25 symphonies because he lived another decade? Would Wagner be more valid if he died after Das Rheingold?  Yes, yes, I know this is an exercise in futility but ultimately there is one conclusion.  We are left to judge them with what they have left behind.  The fact that Derek went on to write a million more symphonies should not be held against him.  He merely gave up on the system and wrote without regard to securing a performance.  I don't know if this is the case with composers in England, but in America, did you know that nearly all composers spend most of their time NOT composing but with various business activities?  I was surprised to learn that a successful composer I know spends maybe two to three hours a day on creative efforts.  The huge bulk of time is various promotion.  What output would a composer create if they no longer cared about that other 75% of their day?  Mahler basically composed in the summer.  What if he created all year long, what gems might we today enjoy?  An opera of his?  A Violin Concerto?  His completed Symphony No. 10, maybe 11?  Virtually no contemporary composer can afford this scenario but a few can.  Derek did and he shouldn't be dismissed because of that.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: