The Art-Music Forum
May 23, 2019, 08:57:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mario Pilati

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mario Pilati  (Read 27 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 56

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:13 pm »

I was browsing Spotify the other day, and came across a CD of the music of Mario Pilati, starting with the Concerto for Orchestra. It didn't mean much to me until I played it and it was then VERY familiar. Of course, I have the CD, and had just forgotten about it; such are the perils of age. I remember now looking up the composer's life history after discovering him for the first time.

My mother was fond of the music of Alan Rawsthorne, and particularly praised the 2nd piano concerto. She would point with approval to how the composer gets straight on with the job, opening the work with the first subject, without any messing around with portentous introductions. Pilati's Concerto for Orchestra is like that - the work opens at once with the first subject, which is a huge tune that can really stick in your mind. How audiences would love it if it could ever be got into the concert hall! It's quite surprising it hasn't been nicked to front a TV series. (Or maybe it has - I wouldn't know!)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: