The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:22:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Russian Composer Chernov, Mikhail, Mikhaĭlovich (1879 - 1938)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Composer Chernov, Mikhail, Mikhaĭlovich (1879 - 1938)  (Read 1362 times)
guest377
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:28:08 am »

There is no information about his symphonies being recorded on that page. for sure.  But the Russian version of Wikipedia is even less reliable than its English-language counterpart, so there could still be an outside chance that recordings exist, somewhere?   

Personally I am more intrigued by the idea of early-20th Russian operettas....  but sadly Wikipedia doesn't even give their titles, let alone any deeper detail :(   I wonder if they were ever performed, and if so, where and when?  One imagines SPb  (since he was living and working there), but perhaps in other cities in the Russian Empire or the USSR?   He certainly made an adept leap from posh societiy musical comedies to writing the Komsomol Anthem... so he knew which side his bread was buttered ;)  But who can blame him?

I am looking in the Ho/Feofanov Dictionary of Soviet Composers and they state his pupils include Gauk, Kamensky, Kreek, Ovchinnikov, and Prokofiev.   His 3 symphonies were written 1907, 1924 and 1928.   No references to any Melodiya recordings.

I did find that his symphonies were published by Jurgenson in Moscow and Leipzig..... chances are they may have been performed somewhere but known recordings are not found.

Can someone access the National Library of Russia to see if his symphonies are located there?   I don't see anything in the worldcat.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: