The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:55:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Rubinstein Piano Concertos #3 and #5 with the ERSO Neeme Jarvi

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rubinstein Piano Concertos #3 and #5 with the ERSO Neeme Jarvi  (Read 878 times)
guest377
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:35:58 am »

I just ordered this recent recording of one of my favorite pieces that just came out this month:

Rubinstein: Piano Concertos Nos. 3 & 5
Anna Shelest (Piano), Anton Rubinstein (Composer), Neeme Jarvi (Conductor) with the ERSO.  on the Sorel Classics label   (unfamiliar with this label)

Here is the link on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJPTQFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Piano-Concertos-Rubinstein-Shelest-Jarvi/dp/B07PJPTQFH/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1556771727&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:39:02 am »

Some notes from the Amazon site:

It is difficult to overstate the breadth of contribution of Anton Rubinstein to the development of the Russian culture in the 19th century. His multifaceted genius can be divided into three areas- Rubinstein the composer, the pianist, and the educator. In this second release in the series of recordings of his works for piano and orchestra, we focus on Rubinsteins role as a composer. Hailed by The New York Times as a pianist of a fiery sensibility and warm touch, Anna Shelest is an international award-winning pianist who has thrilled audiences throughout the world. Champion of esoteric repertoire, Anna is collaborating with legendary conductor Neeme Jarvi on this project, which will eventually record the complete works for piano and orchestra by Anton Rubinstein. The first album in the set was released in 2018 to critical acclaim.

It is difficult to overstate the breadth of contribution of Anton Rubinstein to the development of the Russian culture in the 19th century. His multifaceted genius can be divided into three areas- Rubinstein the composer, the pianist, and the educator. In this first release in the series of recordings of his works for piano and orchestra, we focus on Rubinsteins role as an educator. The album brings into light the effect Rubinstein had on the advancement of the Russian musical style in the 19th and 20th centuries. Hailed by The New York Times as a pianist of a fiery sensibility and warm touch, Anna Shelest is an international award-winning pianist who has thrilled the audiences shes been in front of all over the world. Born in Ukraine, she began her studies at the age of six, and at the age of eleven she performed at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. Her repertoire ranges from the Baroque to todays contemporary composers. She has a particular affinity for Russian piano literature. Having received her Masters Degree at The Juilliard School, Anna Shelest currently resides in New York City with her husband and two sons. The Orchestra Now is group of vibrant young musicians from across the globe who are making orchestral music relevant to 21st century audiences. Hand-picked from the worlds leading conservatories, the members of TON are not only thrilling audiences with their critically acclaimed performances, but also enlightening curious minds by giving on stage demonstrations.
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »

I have heard the beginning of the Rubinstein 5th on this release, and being used to the more placid tempos of the Allegro moderato from the Ruiz and Banowetz recordings, it sounds way too rushed to me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:41:35 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 12:15:27 am »

I have heard the beginning of the Rubinstein 5th on this release, and being used to the more placid tempos of the Allegro moderato from the Ruiz and Banowetz recordings, it sounds way too rushed to me.

Yes the Banowetz is my go to recording...  haven't heard it yet, but Jarvi tends to move at a faster tempo than others... Banowetz still teaches at the Univ of N Texas School of Music in piano performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 12:22:46 am »

Jarvi rushes most of his recordings these days!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:42:10 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:46:49 am »

Can we correct the title of this thread?  ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 01:16:07 pm »

I have altered the spelling of the original title of the thread and of the subsequent contributions and, by a miracle of technology, this has taken effect in the list of Recent Posts on the Home Page ;D
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 03:07:56 am »

sorry  didn't realize I had misspelled the title.... that's what I get when I don't wear my glasses (spectacles).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: