The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:16:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack!  (Read 2173 times)
Admin
Administrator
Level 8

Times thanked: 53

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:42:03 pm »

Since you appear not to have been active on this Forum for some time you will probably not be aware that we had a lengthy "episode" last Autumn. This was initiated by the former Administrator of this site re-posting You Tube videos of commercially available cds.

I have no great burning desire to rehash the arguments used at that time. Members were sickened by the ugly "debate" between the gentleman in question and those who he claimed had "usurped" his position that ensued.

The former Administrator is no longer-as far as we can tell-a member of this site.

The agreed consensus of opinion amongst members who contributed at that time, either publicly or through private messages, was:

What goes on at You Tube is the business of You Tube and those who use it either to post or simply to listen. We are not naive. We all know that people download music from You Tube. I have done so.

The issue is the 'morality' of downloading, for free, music issued by record companies and the financial impact of that practice on the future financial viability, particularly of the small labels which issue comparatively obscure music.

Different people may well have a variety of views on the subject and may indeed have their own differing, private practices. We do not exclude from our membership those who choose to use You Tube in any way which suits them. Nor do we issue ultimata as a regular matter of course!

What we DID agree on was our policy on THIS site. The re-posting of You Tube videos of music from any other sources is absolutely fine. What is not acceptable is the reposting of videos of commercially available cds.
Those who wish to listen to these can do so on You Tube and decide whatever actions to take or not take. That is none of our business. What IS our business is not reposting on here.

You may disagree with this policy-and indeed you are fully entitled to disagree! But it is our policy-as agreed by the membership and NOT one imposed by me or my fellow administrators.

This Forum is NOT my personal property. My role is to try to ensure that the agreed forum "rules" are adhered to-no more, no less.

I hope this explains the position. I very much hope too that you will not "go away" but will remain and contribute as you did a number of years ago to discussions here.
Best Wishes,
Dundonnell.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: