The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:15:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

German Music

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German Music  (Read 10005 times)
ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 10:08:21 pm »

Thank you, britishcomposer, for the Emilie Mayer Symphony no. 4 :) :)!
Not that it is so important, but WIkipedia mentions the B minor symphony as being No. 6. Are there actually only twxo (or three) numbered symphonies out of the mentioned eight?
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 10:30:17 pm »

Ah, you're probably right, Jim! Senfter's Wikipedia article lists it as being in B major, but klassika.info and Shamus' post say B-flat major. Aw, and I was really hoping for a B major symphony ;D! The only other B major symphonies I am aware of are Shostakovich 2, Haydn 46, Korngold Sinfonietta (a symphony in all but name), and a symphony by Georg Mann!
The beginning of J. Senfter's 4th is tonally quite ambiguous, rather in a Franz Schmidt vein, but then it centres around B-flat indeed - and the conclusion is unambiguously in B-flat Major.
Here are some B Major symphonies: Philip Greeley Clapp's Sixth "Golden Gate" and Tenth, Robert Farnon's Second "Ottawa", Edward Burlingame Hill's First, Feliks Łabuński's Symphony in three parts, George Lloyd's Fourth "Arctic", Cipriani Potter's Third, Charles Tournemire's Second "Ouessant" (starting in B-flat minor, but ending in B major), Andria Balanchivadze's First, Alberto Williams's Sixth "La muerte del cometa".
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »

Not that it is so important, but WIkipedia mentions the B minor symphony as being No. 6. Are there actually only twxo (or three) numbered symphonies out of the mentioned eight?

I was aware of this but I decided to follow the information given by the broadcaster, Deutschlandradio Kultur. I will upload an interval talk about the composer and her work shortly. It's in German but perhaps some of you are interested and able to follow.

EDIT: It's available for download now. I have added the link to my original post of the symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:53 pm »

Thanks, ttle, for mentioning some more B major symphonies :)! I should have known the Clapp and Williams-I catalogued them ::)! And sincere apologies to Lloyd and Tournemire as well :-[!
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 08:55:41 am »

Thanks, ttle, for mentioning some more B major symphonies :)! I should have known the Clapp and Williams-I catalogued them ::)! And sincere apologies to Lloyd and Tournemire as well :-[!
You are very welcome! :) Actually, Radio Nacional Argentina broadcasted Alberto Williams's First Symphony last night (there are quite a few gaps and hiccups, not sure whether anyone is interested in having it here). It is, by all accounts, in B minor. Well, either they have used a very low pitch or the tape has a serious speed problem, because it definitely sounds like a low-pitched B flat minor to me...  ::)
Report Spam   Logged
ttle
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 09:20:36 am »

I was aware of this but I decided to follow the information given by the broadcaster, Deutschlandradio Kultur. I will upload an interval talk about the composer and her work shortly. It's in German but perhaps some of you are interested and able to follow.

EDIT: It's available for download now. I have added the link to my original post of the symphony.
Thank you! They do refer to the "Fourth Symphony in B minor". So does the program of the concert. This uncertainty is a bit intriguing, since Emilie Mayer's symphonies were actually performed in those years and apparently were numbered. It is true that symphonic cycles by other composers (e.g. Dvořák) experienced quite some change of numbering over the years.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 03:48:52 pm »

Thank you very much, Holger, for the EH Meyer string quartets :)! I had first discovered this composer through the many pieces of his that are on the YouTube channel "WatchBlueSkies"-what a fine composer indeed :)!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:50:36 pm »

Thank you very much for your recent batch of uploads, Atsushi, not least your uploads of the music of the German composers Lothar, Kempff, and Pringsheim :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
A.S
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 01:59:36 am »

Thank you very much for your recent batch of uploads, Atsushi, not least your uploads of the music of the German composers Lothar, Kempff, and Pringsheim :) :)

You are welcome, enjoy ;)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »

Many thanks, Elroel, for the Joseph Haas works :) :)! There is also an mp3 album of his organ works: http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Haas-Orgelwerke/dp/B005G8MA9K/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355519816&sr=1-6&keywords=joseph+haas

a CD of his solo piano works: http://www.amazon.com/Haas-Piano-Works-Gerit-Lense/dp/B001PU73LI/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355520138&sr=1-13&keywords=joseph+haas

and a recording of his string quartet:

:)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 08:37:01 am »

And thank you kyjo for the extra info on Haas.
This is, at least outside Germany, an overlooked composer.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 08:50:54 am »

In Germany, Joseph Haas is mostly ignored as well, in fact. Thanks for your uploads, Roelof - I am just tracking them all down, which takes its time since my internet connection is a little slow this morning. Could you also give us a scan of the sleeve for the performers etc.?
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 03:37:02 pm »

Joseph Haas
As requested by Holger, I added the performers in the dowloadsection.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
britishcomposer
Level 3

Times thanked: 36

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:52 pm »

Thank you Elroel for the Rosenfeld pieces! I heard an interesting violin sonata many years ago and his opera "Kniefall in Warschau".
However, the link to the Three Nocturnes is currently invalid.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:08 pm »

Just fixed the link for Rosenfeld's Drei Mokturnen.

It looks ok now

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: