The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:46:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Uruguayan Music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uruguayan Music  (Read 294 times)
jowcol
Level 5

Times thanked: 30

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:39:22 pm »

Piano Concerto, Op 57 (1997) by Miguel Del Aguila

Composer, Piano
Chautuaqua Symphony Orchestra
Uriel Segal, conductor
Radio broadcast -- July 30, 2002

From the collection of Karl Miller

Bio from the composer's website:

An internationally recognized compositional voice and talent, Miguel del Aguila creates fresh, spontaneous music often colored by Latin and World Music idioms, and with a healthy respect for the classical tradition and form. What results is a captivating interplay of classical balance and romantic excess. His penchant  for devising programs for his own works further enhances his highly dramatic style in which musical ideas, always simple and recognizable, are pushed to extremes by propulsive rhythms and adventurous instrumentation.

Biography
Two-time Grammy nominated American composer Miguel del Aguila was born 1957 in Montevideo, Uruguay. His prolific music output and distinctive musical style has placed him among the most highly regarded composers of his generation. He came to the attention of European audiences in 1983 when his Messages premiered at Musikvereinsaal, the home of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. Soon performances at Konzerthaus and Bösendorfer Hall followed, marking the beginning of an international career that spans over two decades. In 1987 Peermusic published his first works eventually incorporating most of Aguila’s works to their catalogue. American audiences embraced Aguila’s music in 1988 as he introduced his piano works at New York’s Carnegie Recital Hall; and days later, Lukas Foss premiered his Hexen with the Brooklyn Philharmonic Orchestra. KKM-Austria and Albany Records-NY took notice releasing in 1989/’90 two CD’s with five of his works.

During the 1990’s Aguila’s list of works grew as did the number of his recordings, performances and honors which by 1995 included the prestigious Kennedy Center Friedheim Award. Performances at NY’s Lincoln Center, London’s Royal Opera House, and in Moscow, Vienna, Zurich, Budapest, Prague, Tokyo, Rome and other major capitals. After residing in Vienna for ten years, Aguila returned to the US in 1992 making California his home. Before long Los Angeles Times critics welcomed him as "One of the West Coast's most promising and enterprising young composers." During this time he founded and directed the young musicians group Voices, and became music director of Ojai Camerata (1996-1999).

In 2001 New York’s Chautauqua Festival invited him as Resident Composer where he remained until 2004 contributing with new works, performances and literary articles. In 2005 Aguila accepted a two year Composer in Residence position with the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra, through a Meet The Composer - Music Alive Award. This marked the start of an intensively creative period that culminated with the fully staged premiere of his third opera Time and Again Barelas, commemorating Albuquerque’s tricentennial.

By 2008 first rate orchestras, ensembles and soloists were regularly commissioning and performing his works worldwide. They included almost fifty orchestras, over two hundred chamber ensembles and soloists in virtually every country in Asia, Europe and the Americas.

Currently Aguila’s catalogue reaches over a hundred works for all genres. His music is widely available on twenty one CD’s released by Bridge, Dorian, Telarc, New Albion, Albany, and Centaur among others .

Recently, Aguila was honored by the Recording Academy with two Latin Grammy nominations for his CD Salon Buenos Aires and for his composition Clocks. He also received the MTC Magnum Opus Award 2010, the Lancaster Symphony “Composer of the Year Award 2009”, the Peter S. Reed Foundation Award 2008, MTC Magnum Opus Award 2008 and The Copland Foundation awards among others. He is a graduate of the San Francisco Conservatory of Music with post graduate studies at Vienna’s Hochschule für Musik and Vienna Konservatorium.

His busy 2012-13 season includes performances by the orchestras of Oakland, Spokane, Santa Cruz,  Sacramento, Boston, Michigan and Sao Paulo (Brazil) as well as hundreds of performances of his chamber works worldwide.

Report Spam   Logged

All download links I have posted are for works, that, to  my knowledge, have never been commercially released in digital form.  Should you find I've been in error, please notify myself or an Administrator.  Please IM me if I've made any errors that require attention, as I may not read replies.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ttle
Level 3

Times thanked: 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:00:10 am »

Vicente Ascone (Siderno, Calabria 1897 - 1979)

Italian-born uruguayan composer

Tres estampas campesinas (Three rural sketches) (Date unknown)
http://www.mediafire.com/?4trjne5673t49mq
Orquesta sinfónica del SODRE, Juan Protasi conducts

Broadcast from RNE Radio Clásica from the eighties (so old cassette...)

Many thanks for posting this, I was very curious to hear something by this composer. The Tres estampas campesinas were composed in 1959. His three symphonies date from 1948, 1955 and 1964 ("del Río", of the River) respectively, his Violin concerto from 1970. I just found on the Internet that the latter is available on a Sondor CD alongside another recording of these Sketches.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: