The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:01:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Henry Litolff (1818-1891)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry Litolff (1818-1891)  (Read 1968 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:22 pm »

I have enjoyed everything that I have heard by Litolff: the exquisite Scherzo from his fourth Concerto Symphonique for piano and orchestra has unfortunately overshadowed the high quality of the rest of his output (all four extant piano Concertos are available on Hyperion).

It is high time that we had commercial recordings of his four "Symphonic Dramas" (c.1850-52) based on the French Revolution: we have three of these in the broadcast archive...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:58 pm »

As one who has studied his scores, I can honestly say there is much to enjoy. All of it is tuneful and well crafted. I would like to see recordings of all 3 piano trios, the string quartet, the "Eroica" concerto symphonique for violin and orchestra, all the opera overtures and as much of the operas as survive, the Scenes from Faust, and a good selection of the solo piano music (almost all of which is salon fare, but very good of its kind)...
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 02:31:48 pm »

the "Eroica" concerto symphonique for violin and orchestra

I would dearly love to hear this. Hyperion RVC?

To clarify my initial post, here are the details of the four French Revolution pieces (as I posted them on Wikipedia):

Le Dernier Jour de la Terreur (later retitled Maximilien Robespierre), drame symphonique No.1 (later styled Ouverture zum Trauerspiel), Op. 55 (c.1850-52)

Les Girondins (Die Girondisten), drame symphonique No.2 (later styled Ouverture zum Trauerspiel), Op. 80 (c.1850-52)

Les Guelfes (later retitled Das Welfenlied von Gustav von Meyern), drame symphonique No.3 (later styled Ouverture heroique), Op. 99 (c.1850-52)

Chant des Belges, drame symphonique No.4 (later styled Ouverture dramatique), Op. 101 (c.1850-52)

Thankfully all were published contemporaneously in full score by Richault, Paris.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:33:09 am »

A little bird tells me that a very good trio have recorded the first 2 piano trios by Litolff, with the 3rd in the pipeline - possibly, if a suitable companion trio can be found (I have suggested Bronsart's). And this on a well known label with a reputation for excellence. I can say no more at present.
Report Spam   Logged
Border Collie
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 04:26:10 pm »

Hyperion. Out in February 2020.
Report Spam   Logged
JGregory
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:50:16 pm »

iTunes & Amazon show Jan 31 as release date.

https://www.amazon.com/Litolff-Piano-Trios-Leonore-Trio/dp/B07ZWBF1G6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=litolff+piano+trios&qid=1575402243&s=music&sr=1-2-catcorr

https://music.apple.com/us/album/litolff-piano-trios-nos-1-2/1482936734
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 05:08:58 pm »

Just like Litolff's Concerto Symphonique No. 1

The above quote is from the Cowen thread, regarding lost scores.

The loss of the Litolff [Piano] Concerto Symphonique No.1 is a real tragedy, but luckily numbers 2-5 have been splendidly recorded by Hyperion in their Romantic Piano Concerto series. He deserves more recognition (like Berlioz, he was a true original) and I reiterate my wish for more attention to be paid to his music, especially...

the "Eroica" concerto symphonique for violin and orchestra

I would dearly love to hear this. Hyperion RVC?

To clarify my initial post, here are the details of the four French Revolution pieces (as I posted them on Wikipedia):

Le Dernier Jour de la Terreur (later retitled Maximilien Robespierre), drame symphonique No.1 (later styled Ouverture zum Trauerspiel), Op. 55 (c.1850-52)

Les Girondins (Die Girondisten), drame symphonique No.2 (later styled Ouverture zum Trauerspiel), Op. 80 (c.1850-52)

Les Guelfes (later retitled Das Welfenlied von Gustav von Meyern), drame symphonique No.3 (later styled Ouverture heroique), Op. 99 (c.1850-52)

Chant des Belges, drame symphonique No.4 (later styled Ouverture dramatique), Op. 101 (c.1850-52)

Thankfully all were published contemporaneously in full score by Richault, Paris.

:)

...and some of these are available as off-air recordings in the archive here.

::)
Report Spam   Logged

guest822
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 05:56:07 pm »

Agreed on all points. It's probably to Litolff's disadvantage that his life was such a cosmopolitan whirl. If he'd been a French citizen, rather than just a sometime resident, his music might fare better. As everybody knows, our friends across La Manche take their culture a bl**dy sight more seriously than we take ours.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: