The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:11:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Anthony Payne (1936-2021)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony Payne (1936-2021)  (Read 137 times)
guest822
« on: May 07, 2021, 02:39:40 pm »

I just noticed on the Presto Classical website that Anthony Payne has died. Their obituary is here:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/3956--obituary-anthony-payne-1936-2021?utm_source=News-2021-05-07&utm_medium=email

As it says, Payne is best known for his ‘elaboration’ of the sketches for Elgar’s Symphony no 3 (and his completion of Pomp & Circumstance March no 6). In a hundred years time (if humanity has not obliterated itself by then) I suspect that's still how Payne will be best remembered. Whether he'd appreciate that, at the expense of regard for his own original compositions I don't know but I, for one, am profoundly glad he turned his undoubted talent and skill to his realisation of Elgar 3. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 02:52:17 pm »

Payne's "realisation" of Elgar 3 is an absolutely stunning achievement - when I hear it I hear Elgar hypothetically 1933-34.

:)

I don't know if any of Payne's own music has ever been broadcast (there's none in the British and Irish Music Archive). I must have a rummage, but perhaps other members will know...

:-\
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
guest822
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »

Payne's "realisation" of Elgar 3 is an absolutely stunning achievement - when I hear it I hear Elgar hypothetically 1933-34.

Agreed.

I don't know if any of Payne's own music has ever been broadcast (there's none in the British and Irish Music Archive). I must have a rummage, but perhaps other members will know...

I don't know about broadcasts but the Presto site lists quite a few commercial recordings, if anyone's interested.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: