The Art-Music Forum
September 18, 2020, 07:10:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Susan Spain-Dunk

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Spain-Dunk  (Read 2574 times)
cilgwyn
Level 6

Times thanked: 22

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:32:43 pm »

Sadly, Susan Spain-Dunk is just one of several female composers whose work has been gathering dust for far too long, thinking also of Morfydd Owen (whose evocative 1913 orchestral Nocturne was featured at last year's Proms and whose Morfa Rhuddlan of 1914 is in the British and Irish downloads thread). At least we now have an excellent disc from Chandos representing Ruth Gipps and the superb Dutton recording of Ina Boyle...

Smiley
Re: Morfydd owen! I bought the Tŷ Cerdd cd of songs and piano music,by the sadly,shortly lived,Morfydd Llwyn Owen. She's a bit of an icon here in Wales. There have been a number of programs about her,here in Wales,on radio and tv,over the years. There have also been various articles and books. Most recently a feature length biopic,on the Welsh langage tv channel,S4C (with subtitles in english!). Known for her exotic,beauty and her marriage to the famous psychoanalyst,Ernest Jones. Even people who aren't,normally,interested in classical music are interested in her,here in Wales. The fact,that some people still think that foul play was involved,and that Ernest Jones was the one 'who dunnit',only,adds to the fascination;and there's no doubt that the circumstances of here death are mired in controversy. (The evidence does look decidedly dodgy!) I was wondering what the music on the cd would be like. I'm not usually very keen on people warbling to piano accompaniments,but I enjoyed the songs,very much. Her piano music,too. Elin Manahan Thomas,who has done allot to promote her music,has a lovely voice. The cd is well recorded,with a lovely,hand tinted,photograph of Morfydd Owen and interesting booklet notes about the composer and her music. A lovely cd. It can be bought via Tŷ Cerdd's website. Although,I bought my copy (online) from a shop in Aberystwyth.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: