The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:21:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Pizzetti - Debora e Jaele: 2 competing recordings?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pizzetti - Debora e Jaele: 2 competing recordings?  (Read 225 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:06 am »

Does someone has experience with one of these sets: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ildebrando-pizzetti-debora-e-jaele/hnum/8724287 or https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/ildebrando-pizzetti-debora-e-jaele/hnum/8129169
I'm not sure which one to buy, the Votto was recorded 1962 and the Gavazzeni in 1952. Which one would be 'the better one?' Or should I stick with my radio recording from the 1980s when this opera was done in Utrecht, concertant.....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:04:10 pm »

After Fedra my favourite Pizzetti opera alongside Fra Grehardo.

I became acquainted with the opera via the Gavazzeni set in 2006 - the only one available then - and thought it was fine despite being from the 1950s. Certainly it was good enough for me to consider the work an impressive one and increase my admiration for Pizzetti.

However, since aquiring, in 2007, the Dutch recording (from a BBC Broadcast), it is this I would listen to as my first choice. However, Gavazzeni was a fine conductor of opera and Clara Petrella, a fine dramatic soprano.  If you want a second version of the opera, albeit in more limited sound, the Gavazzeni is worth having.

I may also have the  Votto but have no recollection of what it is like.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: