The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:30:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Whatever happened to Fritz Brun?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatever happened to Fritz Brun?  (Read 8026 times)
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2019, 08:04:13 am »

@ Jolly Roger
One can also fall asleep listening to Beethoven or to Mozart - if one feels tired or is unable to concentrate...
Suppose this is the very first Brun CD you are confronted with - but you feel already in right to give an overall verdict on this composer before knowing him properly?
Unable to formulate an authentic/original reason for your dislike - you just suppprt a superficial and arrogant music review? This is grade school level too!
You must have a strange relationship with music...
Experiencing Music is also a challenge, not only an uncomplicated and relaxing listening (during which many music lovers read, think, or do other things anyway...).
I don't pretend that everybody has to like Brun's music, but one should just say this openly - and eventually explain why, if he has a certain level of culture.
Which piece exactly made you fall asleep? Which Symphony? Which Concerto?

An intelligent and adventurous Amazon reviewer wrote this very appropriate sentence:
"Brun has some very forthright movements full of heroism, energy and punch with a style that is a little 'choppy'. I think others have alluded to this lack of musical narrative. I feel the narrative is there but in truncated brisk sections, but it does take some getting used to. The slow movements/sections are a wonderful contrast with long languid, sighing melodies, expressive orchestration and some beautiful notes for the horns. I really am enjoying these uncharted waters. So throw the compass away and just set sail!"
What you say is quite true, I have lost focus with other composers as well. But I did not consider Bruns music to be top-shelf even after repeated listening. I did return to Brun a couple of times after that and was disappointed because others had found great value there and I could not.
Please accept my apologies if I have have discouraged anyone to give him a spin,that was not my intent.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: