The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:43:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

John Joubert RIP

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Joubert RIP  (Read 432 times)
Alex Bozman
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:03 pm »

Sorry to hear that he passed away on 7th January at the age of 91. South African born, but predominantly resident in Britain.

I first heard his music on a friend's record of the first two Piano Sonatas. He seems to have kept composing through his 80s, including the 3rd Symphony recently released on cd. There is a lot of his work, especially the choral pieces that I'm unfamiliar with.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:16:15 am »

Sad news indeed. One hopes that Joubert was able to hear his Symphony No.3 on disc before he died.

There are, by my reckoning, thirteen large choral works-Choral Symphonies, Oratorios, Cantatas-none of which has been recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:47 pm »

Sad news indeed. One hopes that Joubert was able to hear his Symphony No.3 on disc before he died.

There are, by my reckoning, thirteen large choral works-Choral Symphonies, Oratorios, Cantatas-none of which has been recorded.

In relation to my last sentence above:

1953: Cantata “The Burghers of Calais” for soprano, countertenor, two tenors, baritone, bass, chorus and small orchestra, op.12: 30 minutes
1963:Cantata “Urbs Beata” for tenor, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 42: 35 minutes
1968:Choral Symphony “The Choir Invisible” for baritone, chorus and orchestra, op.54: 30 minutes
         Cantata “The Martyrdom of St. Alban” for speaker, tenor, baritone, chorus and small orchestra, op. 59:
               35 minutes
1970: Oratorio “The Raising of Lazarus” for mezzo-soprano, tenor, chorus and orchestra, op. 67: 48 minutes    *
1976: “The Magus”-A Morality for tenor, two baritones, chorus and orchestra, op. 83: 45 minutes
1979: Herefordshire Canticles for soprano, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op.93: 42 minutes
1981: Choral Symphony “Gong-Tormented Sea” for baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 96: 37 minutes     *
1988: Missa Brevis for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, chorus and orchestra: 29 minutes
1989: Choral Symphony “For the Beauty of the Earth” for soprano, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 124:
              36 minutes
1996-97: Rochester Triptych, op. 139: Part I “Impartial Death”, Part II “Universal Nature” ; Part III “Best Glorious
              Man” for chorus and orchestra: 23 minutes
2000: Oratorio Wings of Faith”,  Part 1 “The Word Fulfilled”, op. 143 and
2003: Part 2, “The Transforming Spirit”
2010: An English Requiem for soprano, baritone, chorus and orchestra, op. 166: 45 minutes

Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:21:35 pm »

Symphony 1 is very impressive.
RIP
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: